Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Stupidity Should Hurt

Stupidity should hurt.  It should be painful.  If stupidity hurt, fewer people would commit stupid acts.  Take, for example, this, the photographic evidence of the act of stupidity that I uncovered today.


If the person who decided to fill in the old doorway without bothering to line up the edges of the clapboards or cut them in such a way so as not to leave big gaps in the siding of the house suddenly, as he or she was committing this act of stupidity, broke out in boils or a terrible rash or, appropriately, shingles, then perhaps they would've reconsidered doing such a crappy patching job. Or maybe not.

Either way, I do believe I've had just about enough of dealing with the back wall of the house for this year.  I've encountered more things that need to be fixed in this six- or seven-foot span of wall than on the entire rest of the house.  Tomorrow I will fill in the nail holes I opened up today, caulk the heck out of those gaps in the siding, pick up the shingles scattered all over the patio, and be done with the thing until Spring.  Unless I can locate the owner of the falling-down house out in the country that just happens to have lots and lots of intact clapboards still on it...and said owner is willing to let me have those clapboards...

7 comments:

  1. Bummer.

    Did you know that the door was moved at one time? Why did they move it?

    I'm dealing with stupidity right now myself. Who uses caulk for glazing compound? And if they had to use caulk, why did they feel the need to spread it 2 inches wide?

    Hope the weather holds out until you get your shingles picked up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should have started a "What Were They Thinking?" album. If only we'd know how much there would be to fill it, we would have started it from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I feared this from the beginning. HATE it for you because it's so frustrating and there isn't anything you can really do about it -- especially now.

    reminds me of discovering the crappy job the builders had done on the porch slab so that I had to spend an entire day getting an even edge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to really hate badly relocated doors and windows. Wait, I still do - I mean I used to really hate the scars left by badly relocated windows and doors.

    I've come to appreciate, as I look for my mid-19th century urban farmhouse, when there are clear signs like this of where the windows and doors used to be. Most of these houses have had their windows replaced with cheap vinyl ones, so I'd be replacing windows at some point anyway. It's nice to have such a clean sign as to where the windows should be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.

    On further reflection, and not really being sure what's going on, how about prying off those small clapboards and realigning them, using some sort of (they must make this stuff, I guess) exterior wood patch so the cuts between them and the adjacent ones are not apparent.

    I had to patch crown molding (admittedly a much smaller job) inside where someone had chopped into it for a closet built onto a wall when I tore off the closet. I used some sort of patch stuff and sculpted it with my fingers and sanding. Once painted over, the fix was not visible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now we know why they covered the house with shingles! They covered one dumb mistake with another!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everybody. I knew you'd understand.

    ReplyDelete