Monday, August 3, 2009

Wah-hoo!

Wah-hoo! The whole east side of the house is now completely yellow! My son came over when he woke up today (at noon; he works nights, too) and retrieved the big ladder from Floyd's garage next door. When I started painting, everything above the top of the window next to the ladder was white. Now it's yellow. This was by far the largest of the three "tall" parts of the house still left unpainted. Tomorrow morning I'll put the ladder up another couple of rungs and paint that freize board dark green and the eaves cream. Then I will try (and probably fail) to take the big ladder down alone and drag it over to the opposite side of the house so I can climb atop the dining room bay (the Eek! and Yikes! part of the house) and paint over there, too. (Dylan believes that I can handle the ladder alone; I'm not so sure. Only one way to find out. And, he'll come over again if I just can't move the ladder by myself.)

The updated List of the Un-Done: seven windows (still—darn that miscount!), the area above the front parlor bump-out, the front of the house inside the new screened porch, the part above the dining room bay, the trim on the screened porch, the spandrel on the side porch, and a couple of dark green corner pieces and a frieze board. Not too bad. And there are two non-painting chores to be done as well, but I don't want to talk about those right now. Because right now I am going to eat cold grilled chicken, marinated cucumbers and tomatoes, and a little bowl of fresh peaches with dark chocolate shavings on top, all of which someone else made for me. Wah-hoo!

5 comments:

  1. Wah-hoo is right, now go ahead and pat yourself on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing what a little paint can do. It looks great, don't ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to remember my epiphany about moving my old giant aluminum ladder. I think the trick is getting yourself positioned so you have it by the middle as much as possible, so all the weight isn't swinging out of control. So I'd ease it down and up against the side of the house on a slant, sort of, well, I'm not explaining this very well. Remember Our Friend The Fulcrum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY you! keep on paintin' girl!

    But, extension ladders are big and heavy at best, awkward at worst. Get the boy to move it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone!
    Karen Anne, I tried to move it by myself, and I can't. Darnit. What you said did make sense, and that works for moving it along the house, but I can't completely take it down by myself.

    ReplyDelete