Thursday, July 30, 2009

White Trash Bob

A few months ago, my across-the-street neighbor Bob insisted that I give him a cool nickname. "Everybody else has a cool nickname," he said, "and I'm just Bob." I objected, "No, no...you're Across-The-Street Bob." He said that wasn't good enough and suggested I refer to him henceforth and always as White Trash Bob. Who am I to argue with a man who's wired my garbage disposal, loaned me tools, bought me cups of coffee and bread pudding when the going gets tough, disconnected my doorbell, and even salvaged 1870s clapboards for me to use on the side porch? White Trash Bob it is.

Monday afternoon White Trash Bob showed up in my side yard and declared it was time to go to River Reader (the local bookstore) for a cold drink. Arguing with this man is futile, so I wrapped my paintbrush in a Wal-Mart bag and walked uptown with him. I knew he had something on his mind. In the air-conditioned comfort of River Reader, over cold cans of pop, he dropped it: "Darlin, why are you killing yourself on that house? It's still gonna be there tomorrow. You don't have to finish it by this deadline of yours. Just do what you can, when you can, and it'll all get done. Or it won't, and then you'll be a contributor to the decay of our neighborhood." That Bob, he always gives both sides of an issue.

But maybe, just maybe, Bob is right. In fact, I've never known him to be wrong. Honestly. So on Tuesday I slept late, put the second coat of yellow paint on the side porch, took a nap, painted the corner pieces of the side porch green, and then went to Taco Night at The Red Dawg Saloon. And on Wednesday I contributed to the decay of our neighborhood by doing nothing. Now it's the wee hours of Thursday morning at work. We'll see how I feel 12 hours from now after I've had some sleep.

11 comments:

  1. I like setting goals, it keeps me focused. And I also agree there's no since in killing yourself. It will be done soon enough, enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like White Trash Bob. Seems like a sensible man.

    You really have a Red Dawg Saloon? That's bizarre because our favorite local dive is called the Red Dog Saloon. No kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I wonder why I bother setting deadlines for myself. I almost never keep them. Goals are good, and help to keep me focused, especially if I break them down into little step-by-step pieces. Deadlines only work when I have company coming into town, cause I don't want them to see how scary my house can be... Maybe I should have people over more often!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with White Trash Bob :) ( love the nickname btw~) I think its always good to take a break and let yourself get alittle motivated to do more work after you've relaxed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The important thing is that you are making progress. Progress on older homes is slower and should be slower because you want to do it right.

    I think you are making great progress.

    If you finish the outside in August, you will deprive your neighbors the pleasure of watching and helping.

    I think a more reasonable goal is to have the house painted before winter.

    Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't want to kill yourself over it but you'll never be able to truly relax until it's done. Maybe just schedule a break every now and then. You know you really want to see it get done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everybody! I think Bob was worried that if I don't get the house done by my self-imposed deadline I'll feel like a big ole failure. I won't, but I'll be sorely disappointed. Weather forecast looks good for my next days off, though, so we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine--Further proof that are lives are parallel universes. LOL. The Red Dawg is actually in Buckner, a little town about 20 minutes away. Great tacos for 75 cents each on Tuesday nights. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are truly blessed with so many smart and sensible friends in your life. :)

    You have worked so hard lately, it's nice that you took a little break; I call it 'recharging my battery'. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Our Red Dog is a steakhouse. I don't think you could even get a piece of lettuce for 75 cents. lol Best steaks around though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how WTB thinks. Clearly, he doesn't live with the mother though ...

    ReplyDelete