Monday, July 6, 2009

Thanks, Nate

This post is for Nate. Y'all know Nate, formerly of North Dakota, late of New York City...yeah, that Nate. See, way back when I was picking paint colors I temporarily lost the nerve to paint the window sashes black like they were originally. "It'll be too much of a contrast with the yellow house," I said. "It'll look funny with the storm windows," I said. But Nate would have none of it. He encouraged me to paint them black, and suggested I paint the storm windows, too. He said his mom painted the storms on his parents' house and it worked out fine. And then he said the words that have stayed with me all this time (words which I am quoting as best I remember, because I'm darned if I can find his original comment): "I think you should paint the window sashes dark. Without it, the house will seem like a beautifully made-up face without mascara."

And I am very happy to say that Nate is absolutely right! Window on the left, with mascara. Window on the right, without it.
And a closer look, so you can see that I painted the storm window, too. Window on the left, Liza Minnelli. Window on the right...um, not Liza. I happen to love Liza Minnelli, but like her or not, you have to admit the black eyeliner and mascara is her trademark look and she just wouldn't be the same without it. And neither would the Kelly House. Thanks, Nate!

10 comments:

  1. Hmmmm... now you need to take some gold (like the mother) or silver or some metallic color and restore the detail to your leading. That's the only thing I don't like about the black. Otherwise, Nate, you were spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the dark, except it's covering up the lovely detailing on the top of the window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I drive down a street lined with victorian homes the ones that stand out the most are those with the most colors. I think adding another color punches it up a notch. I think a dark raspberry or burgendy would also have worked.

    I noticed in the origional picture on your sidebar the sashing was dark, that was very common.

    I don't think you have lost the detail in your windows, I think the detail would show up if your white curtains were full length.

    Have fun painting all those windows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the commenters. The black is a good look, but with such nice windows, it's a shame the detail doesn't pop as much. I would definetly put pale sheers up to the top if you don't highlight the leading some other way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am planning to get full-length cream sheers this fall when I get around to repainting the front parlor. When I moved in there were blinds up top, which made the room too dark...but I erred in the opposite direction and without anything up top the room's too bright. That'll help the stained glass side-lites show up better. There's actually not leading in between the panes; it's all wood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes, yes! LOVE the black. I'll bet it's gorgeous in person. My SIL has yellow walls, off white trim and black sashes inside her living room and I have always loved it. It just oozes classy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now we all know where to go with our painting queries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WhyS?--Yes. We go to Nate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow, a post about me!?! I can't believe you remembered that.

    At any rate, I love the sashes. It just adds such a nice depth to the windows... another dimension... more contrast. I like.

    I am actually in the process of prep work on my new digs here in NYC. I am going to repaint the room and trim, but there are over 20 coats of paint on the trim... so I bought another heat gun. I think I'm getting in over my head again!

    The house is moving along so well. Best of luck with the sunshine and I continue to hope for more progress pictures as the summer carries on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nate is super! But like NV and Karen Anne, I think highlighting the deatailing on top would be great!

    ReplyDelete