Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Haven't done one of these in a while...Not because I don't have anything to be thankful for, but because Thursday usually comes and goes without my noticing.

1. I'm thankful that Ryan and the boys were across the street. Yesterday a West Peculiar (Mo.) fire engine was struck by a semi at highway speed. You can read the article and see the photos here. My friend Ryan and my friend Carrie's boyfriend were on that engine crew, but were across the street cleaning up from a previous wreck when their own apparatus was involved in a bad wreck. I'm very glad they weren't in the engine.

2. I'm thankful for my best friend Sharon. We're almost inseparable on our days off. We eat together (usually at the Mexican place), we talk endlessly on the phone, we wander Wal-Mart together late at night, and this week she came over to help me paint my house. On her vacation, no less. I don't know what I'd do without her phone calls saying, "Let's go to supper and talk about boys."

3. I'm thankful my cats eat flies. I had the front door open periodically Monday and Tuesday painting the trim, and a lot of flies got in the house. Louie and Marie catch the flies and eat them. It's a cooperative effort—Marie knocks them out of the air, Louie mashes them, and then one or the other of them eats them. This is both hilarious to watch and useful, since it's much easier to sleep without flies buzzing around one's head.

4. I'm thankful I figured out Bluetooth. When I bought my Soul, I noticed that on the steering wheel were little phone icons, so I had a vague idea that my phone might be able to be linked into the vehicle somehow using Bluetooth, but I had no idea how to do it. For two months now I've assumed that this technology was far too complicated for me to venture into. Happily, I was wrong. Five minutes after reading the owner's manual I made my first hands-free call.

5. I'm thankful for French toast. Since Sean passed away, I haven't cooked at all. Until Sunday night, when I made French toast for supper with a minimum of tears. Whisking together an egg, cream, cinnamon, sugar and a little nutmeg, just like Sean used to, made me feel better instead of worse, just as I thought it might. And, making perfect French toast with thick slices of bread made me feel brave enough to want to cook a "real" meal on my upcoming days off.

2 comments:

  1. I'm grateful my dogs eat MOTHS. They love them... crunch, crunch, crunch.

    I'm glad you made the french toast... a nice way to connect with happy memories.

    ReplyDelete