Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thankful Thursday

It's working! The first week I did this Thankful Thursday thing, I had to struggle a bit for five things. "Thankful" seems like such a big word sometimes...but I'm learning it can be applied quite well to the small things in life.


1. Michael J. Fox. Almost everyone loves the kid-actor-turned-activist, but I'm particularly thankful for his television special tonight, "Adventures of an Incurable Optimist". He traveled around the world to speak with folks who remain hopeful in the face of trying circumstances, and the message delivered by this hour-long show is a humbling one. Any man who can find something positive in being accused of faking his Parkinson's symptoms by Rush Limbaugh (MJF thanked him for bringing attention to Parkinson's research) has my undying admiration. I can't wait to read his book, Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist.


2. Independent book stores. Dovetailing nicely with the above...Sure you can buy Michael J. Fox's book from Barnes & Noble, Amazon, or one of the other big stores, but I'd really rather you'd buy it from an independent book store. I am very fortunate to have a wonderful bookstore, River Reader, right here in my own hometown. Pat at River Reader is always ready to tell me about the last good book she read, point out an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal, or fix me an Italian ice. Maybe you have a great little bookstore near you, too. Find out at IndieBound and support small business in your community.


3. Sheridan's Frozen Custard. After listening to me whining about having to come to work on the first night that felt like summer, a firefighter took pity on me and my partner and bought us Sheridan's frozen custard. Mine was chocolate with peanut butter cups in it. Yum. Now that I think about it, he's not on my team in the Biggest Loser Contest, so maybe this was a strategic move on his part....No matter, it was gooood!

4. Megs. The 15-year-old gorgeous daughter of a friend of mine, her outlook on life is a breath of fresh air. Getting to know her has been a joyride, and the child never fails to make me laugh. She is smart, funny, and a huge baseball fan. She's also quite the photographer, as you can see by her self-portrait here. If she didn't hate cats, she'd be almost perfect.


5. A winning baseball season. After several years of baseball that had fans cringing from the awfulness of it, the Kansas City Royals finally are having a winning season. At the top of the heap of the American League Central Division standings as I write this, they have a phenom pitcher in Zack Greinke (who Megs swears will be her husband someday, by the way) and bats that have been on fire. It's early days yet in Baseball Land, but I'm already hoping for the playoffs. Another I70 Series with the St. Louis Cardinals would be just fine with me!

3 comments:

  1. It's good to give thanks. Makes you stop and think and really address what's important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayne, thanks for reminding us to be thankful and extra thanks for posting the link to Indie Bound. I just found a new indie bookstore within walking distance from my house!

    ReplyDelete