"To us, our house...had a heart, and a soul, and eyes to see us with; and approvals and solicitudes and deep sympathies; it was of us and we were in its confidence and lived in its grace and in the peace of its benediction."
|The house in 1906|
The Kelly House is a contributing structure within the Old Neighborhoods National Register Historic District and is an example of Queen Anne cottage architecture, as evidenced by the cross-gabled roof, the symmetrical layout of the house, and the hipped roofs over bays at the front and west sides of the house. The stained glass windows at the front of the house are also a feature of this architecture and are original to the house.
The house was built circa 1887 by James Crawford Kelly, a Lafayette County cattle farmer who owned a livery stable and a general store in Lexington. The one-story house is frame construction with cedar clapboards and a brick foundation. The house originally consisted of six rooms: an entryway, two parlors, a dining room, a kitchen, and a bedroom. Another two rooms and a small porch on the east side of the house were added sometime after 1910. Mr. Kelly and his wife, Maria Louisa (Duncan) Kelly lived in this home until their deaths in 1916. The house was then owned by their son, Aubrey (A.O.) Kelly until the early 1950s. After A.O.'s death, the house had numerous owners.
|With shingles, in 2006|
The exterior appearance of the Kelly House was significantly altered in the late 1960s when the clapboard siding was covered with cedar shingles and the original porch was removed and enclosed. Original iron roof cresting (visible in the 1906 photo of the house) has also been removed. Two exterior doors leading to the side porch were removed when closets were built in the house. The original back door of the house was replaced sometime after the construction of the additional two rooms. The door at the rear of the house is not the original. The house still retains nearly all of its original exterior trim. All but one of the original windows retain their glass.
|After the first paint job, 2010|
|Spring of 2015|