Wednesday, April 27, 2016

What Is It?

A couple of days ago I was cleaning up the side yard and I found this....thing.


I think it's a rhizome or a tuber or something.  Hopefully a flower.  It was buried under a pile of leaves and sticks in the side yard where I haven't planted anything.  In the whole time I've lived here, nothing's ever grown in that particular spot except dandelions, and I swear if this is a freakishly large dandelion of some sort I will throw things and say bad words.  But I don't really think it's a dandelion, because look at those leaves.



When I pulled up the floor of the side porch a couple of years ago, I found remnants of whatever bush Mrs. Kelly (the wife of the original owner of my house) had planted there.  (It had to be Mrs. Kelly, because the porch was built onto the house about 1910 and Mrs. Kelly was still alive then.)  Now I'm hoping this thing is that bush, resurrected.  Is that even possible?  Just in case it is, I planted the thing in one of my gardens.

Does anyone know what this might be?

6 comments:

  1. No guess on an ID yet. How about you put it into a pot and decide later whether it's worthy of a spot in the garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I look at it again, I wonder if it's Pokeweed? Do you have that where you are?

      Delete
    2. You know, I think putting it in a pot is a better idea than putting it in a garden--especially if it's pokeweed! I didn't know what it was called, but yes, we have it here. UGH.

      Delete
  2. Peony bush? They can be buried to deep to bloom for years in and around the foundation of old houses and then spring back to life when unearthed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *too. My inner grammar nazi is bugged by my error.

      Delete
    2. I really hope it's a peony. I just love peonies.

      LOL at your inner grammar nazi!!

      Delete