Friday, January 15, 2016

Things I Forgot To Tell Y'all, Part 1

The other day I was folding laundry when it occurred to me that I never told y'all about the shelves I put up in the laundry room last year.  The laundry room's always looked a little blah and I wanted to pretty it up, especially since almost everybody who comes over uses the back door and the laundry room's the first room they see.


I have a lot of storage in the laundry room already because there are built-in cabinets along the whole wall opposite the washer and dryer, so these shelves were primarily just to look nice.  


A Pinterest idea that actually worked--wooden letters with scrapbook paper ModPodged to them.  I use the baskets to store toilet paper, paper towels, dryer sheets, and other things.  The cats use the baskets on the top shelves as nests.


A Pinterest idea that doesn't work so well--putting liquid detergent in a drink dispenser.  It looks cute, but the valve gets kinda gummy after awhile.  The shorter bottom shelf isn't a mistake (although with my carpentry skills, it could've been) but intentional, because I'm going to put a rod on the underside of that second shelf so I can hang things up as I take them out of the dryer.  I might also get a drying table that folds back against the wall for drying sweaters and such.  

All of the decorations on the shelves came from other parts of the house and I kept rearranging them until I found something I like.  Everything on the shelves has a memory of a person or place attached to it, so looking at them makes me happy.  The dried hydrangeas came from my very own yard, and it's amazing to me not only that I kept hydrangea bushes alive (four of them!) but that I had the presence of mind to dry the flowers last fall. There's a story behind those bricks on the top shelf:  they're from a downtown commercial building that collapsed a couple years ago and that building was the home of Riley's Irish Pub, where I used to work and where I had many a good meal and great conversation with friends and family.  So while a little pile of bricks might seem at first an odd decorating choice, it fits in with the theme of the shelves.  

Before I put the shelves up, I stripped off the beadboard wallpaper that I'd put up a couple of years before.  Turns out that kitties just love beadboard wallpaper.  It feels so good to their little claws that they just have to scratch and scratch at it until it's shredded.  I painted the walls with Valspar's Sparkling Sage.  The old janky paneling (which Mare calls "trailer paneling") looks decent once it's got a couple coats of paint on it.

The laundry room gets a lot of natural light from the windows and the back door--it's the northwest corner of the house--and now that the shelves are up it's a nice cozy room. 

11 comments:

  1. That's good to know about the soap in the drink dispenser. I've been considering that one myself.

    Love your Wash, Dry, Fold lettering. Very cute for for a laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I saw it all over Pinterest in various finishes (including cardboard letters spray-painted silver so they look like metal, which would be cool in an MCM or modern house) so I thought I'd give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Collapses, puts cool facecloth over face, at the thought of all that inspiration and work. It looks so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen Anne! Dylan thinks it looks cluttered. Haha.

      Delete
  3. Looks really nice. If I put those in my house, they'd be covered in ugly laundry roof stuff all the time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a whole closet full of ugly laundry stuff, furbaby food and gear, and cleaning supplies!

      Delete
  4. Jayne, your laundry room looks so cute and organized! I especially like the sentiment behind the bricks. You are right about the beadboard wallpaper and cats! I wish I had known about that before I did my den! Glad to hear from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lottie! I wish I'd known that the wallpaper isn't cat-resistant too. I still need to do something else in the bathroom where I used it. Good to hear from you too. Can't wait til spring to see your posts with flowers and green grass!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jayne,
    I am just glad you have returned. The laundry room looks great. I am sure it lifts your spirit each time you walk through. One step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laundry room looks very cheerful. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw that Pinterest about putting soap in the dispenser and wondered... Now I know! Thanks for sharing. The words are great - maybe if I put it in my laundry I would no longer have piles of clean clothes??

    ReplyDelete