Thursday, January 21, 2016

Ice Ice Baby

Tuesday afternoon I slept as late as possible before crawling out of my nice warm bed and stumbling into the kitchen to make a cup of coffee and eat a cookie.  Then I packed up my meals and snacks for work, and finally, with just 20 minutes left before I had to go to work, I turned on the shower.
 
And nothing happened.
 
Oh crap, I forgot to pay the water bill.  Wait....no, I didn't.  And the tap in the kitchen worked when I needed water for the coffeemaker.
 
I tried the sink in the bathroom.  Nada.
 
Huh.  That's weird.  I'll just take a shower in the other bathroom.
 
So I went in there and cranked the hot water tap.  Zilch.  The sink didn't work either.
 
Uh oh.  I had a sneaking suspicion as to the cause, since it was about 12 degrees outside and the wind chill was like 15 below zero. Yup, frozen pipes.  So I went to work without a shower and worried all night that the pipes would burst sometime during the 14 hours that I was gone.  On the way home I worried about what to do, because the access to those pipes--the bathrooms are pretty much back-to-back at the rear of the house--is in a dirt crawlspace that's about 18 inches high.  The last time I needed to get in that crawlspace I saw a giant spider and couldn't bring myself to go back in there, so I paid a crackhead named BooBoo 25 bucks to shimmy through the crawlspace pulling electrical wire behind him.  I think BooBoo is dead now, so that's not an option. 
 
By the time I got home Wednesday morning, I'd fretted myself into quite a state over this whole thing.
 
So I walked into the bathroom, turned the shower, and a whole bunch of icy cold rusty gross water sorta belched out.  I left it running until the water ran clear and did the same thing with the bathroom sink and also the sink and the shower in the other bathroom.  This might be the only time in the whole history of my house that something just fixed itself and I didn't have to do anything.
 
 
And just when you got that song (in the post title) out of your heads:
 
Stop.  Collaborate and listen.
 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks. I think I'll do that so it doesn't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I think I'll do that so it doesn't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you :-) I'm trying to think of the last time something in my house fixed itself. I'm...still thinking... :-)

    I'm all stocked up for this weekend's storm, prepared to be snug as a bug, me and my kitty, as long as the power stays on so the pipes don't freeze, cross fingers.

    I don't know if the business about letting a faucet run very slowly during very cold weather actually does prevent pipes from freezing. I tend to run the dishwasher or washing machine at night on days when it gets very cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, so lucky. Congratulations, not many of us with these old houses are lucky. We ended up replacing nearly every inch of plumbing in this house so we wouldn't have to worry about burst pipes anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning. A few weekends ago I started reading your blog from the beginning. I had read bits and pieces over the years but there's nothing like getting the full story. There's a book here. There's a series of inspirational moments here, essays, how ever you were to format it. This blog has been a gift. Your work on the Kelly House has been a gift. To leave the world better than you you found it. There's so much love in your work. Thank you for sharing it with people you'll never know. Cindi M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words, Cindi. It's been a labor of love.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for the kind words, Cindi. It's been a labor of love.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your crackhead. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow so lucky :) keep going on what you done :) congrats for your blog thanks

    ReplyDelete