Tuesday, October 13, 2015

I'm Okay

You know it's been awhile since you've posted when folks start emailing you to ask if you're okay.  Whoops.  And also, I'm okay.
I was thinking about making some joke about having gotten the house done, but then I decided that was pretty lame.  I've always been really honest on this blog and that seems like the right thing to do again.
I began this year with a lot of plans:  finish up the last bits of the front porch, re-do the "big" bathroom, do something about my gross bedroom, replace the shower in the "little" bathroom.   Looking back on it, those were really ambitious plans, and that kind of planning was based on almost 9 years of having a job that paid crazy-good money; money that allowed me to pay all my bills, grow retirement accounts, put money into a "house fund" every two weeks, and still have a pretty decent standard of living.  When I got laid off from the fire department and got hired at the police department I knew immediately that I was taking a 40% pay cut, based just on the hourly wage.  The reality is that the pay cut is more like 55% most paychecks, and sometimes higher.  (The exact reasons for that are kinda complicated, but it has to do with overtime pay and having to pay a portion of my health insurance premium now.) Ouch.  I mean seriously, OUCH
So I had a decision to make.  I could continue to save towards retirement (albeit at a much slower rate) or I could keep spending money on the house, but I couldn't do both.  If I were 28 instead of 48, I might've made a different choice.  Sigh.  Being a grown-up is seriously over-rated, y'all.

If all this sounds like whining, well...it is.  Usually when I'm thinking about having a pity party, I stop myself before it becomes a full-blown wake. Not this year. I fairly wallowed in it. I don't know why exactly I failed to get out of the doldrums, but I couldn't and I didn't so I just let myself feel bad until I didn't feel bad anymore and now I think I'm mostly done with it.
I did finish painting the front porch ceiling.  I'm sure I took photos of that, but I can't seem to find them so you'll just have to take my word for it. I still have to paint all those little spindles on the east side of the front porch and I'll take advantage of good fall weather to do so.
I also did a mini-makeover of the laundry room, helped to clean up a historic cemetery, started a new blog, and had a blast at Wentworth Military Academy's Homecoming Weekend this year.  I'll have to find photos of all that to share with y'all. Oh wait.  I have a pic of that last thing:
My friend Dan and me riding on the Alumni float.

See?  I'm okay.

14 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about you the other day when I realized you had been AWOL all summer. I assumed you were buy watching those Royals win win win.

    Good luck during the playoffs and I am glad you are OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been watching the Royals! And the Cubs, Cards, Dodgers, and Mets too. :)

      Thanks for the good wishes during the playoffs. I'm sad the Tigers aren't there. Love watching Verlander pitch.

      Delete
    2. The Tigers are hiring and firing management and the Lions are talking about firing everyone....lol except Stafford. So I guess we have to hang all our hopes on the Red Wings. We've been going to see our local OHL team, the Flint Firebirds. Good hockey and I don't have to climb those crazy steps at Joe Louis Arena to see the Red Wings. BTW very nice cross stitch.

      Delete
  2. Balance. Balancing $$ with time, with motivation, with energy, with inspiration, with whatever-else. You kept up quite a pace for a while. Perhaps this delay will result in a new, better plan for the future. Wallowing and whining can be good for you. Gets it out of your system, instead of pushing it down and letting the bad stuff fester. So many of us have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you post! I was on the verge of sending an are you okay message myself :-)

    I'm still in a long organizing and getting rid of stuff project. You probably don't have decades of stuff to go through, but that's an almost cost free project if you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. Your other blog http://comeoutarose.blogspot.com/ project is astonishing. I have only seen much simpler cross stitch.

      Delete
    2. Actually, I DO have decades of stuff to go through--my own and my brother's. He was a packrat and over time I've gotten his belongings down to just a couple of boxes. Had to carefully look at everything because he journaled on the backs of envelopes, receipts, etc and I didn't want to lose that.

      Thanks about the cross-stitch. I'm enjoying working on it again. I'll post some close-ups of the specialty stitches so you can see them better.

      Delete
  4. I will call off the posse I was putting together. I'm so glad to hear from you. I also endorse good solid wallows involving sports on t.v., ice cream, and existential pouting. Glad you're hanging in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are part of the posse and you're bringing adult beverages, then carry on! :)

      Delete
    2. Next time I'm heading south I'll give ya a ring. So glad you're feeling in better spirits! (pun intended.)

      Delete
  5. Glad you're ok -- love your house and blog. Hope $ situation improves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julian. I'm hoping it does too.

      Delete