Thursday, April 2, 2015

What I Did On My Winter Vacation



So.  I took an unplanned break from the blog.  A winter vacation, if you will.

And what did I do on my winter vacation?

Nothing.  Absolutely nothing. I did not finish the bathroom floor I started tearing up in December, I did not finish painting my kitchen cabinets white (that I started two years ago), I did not fix up my bedroom, and I did not do any of the other things on my to-do list.

Every winter I lose all motivation to do anything except complain about the weather, watch hours of Netflix, snuggle in my warm bed with the furbabies, and drink hot chocolate.  Usually I intersperse at least something productive in the middle of all that sloth.  This winter, I gave into it.  Actually, I wallowed in it. 

I'm only a little sorry about that.

Now that the weather is warmer and I've emerged from my hibernation--and I reserve the right to go back into grumpy-bear-hibernation mode if we get a freak snowstorm between now and June--I walked around the house and took stock of what needs to be done.

Marion and I need to hang the trim pieces around the inside edges of the front porch.  We've had the lumber since...oh, September or so...but various circumstances stopped us from finishing this up last fall.  I haven't talked to him for a couple of weeks, but last time I did he said he's healing well from his injury and he'll be ready to come back to work this month.  After we hang the trim pieces I'll paint the spandrel and the trim, and then the porch will be finished!

Bits and pieces of the house still need to be painted:  the laundry room window, the eaves here and there, pieces of trim, and that part of the east side of the house that's higher than I can reach.  If you bigify the photo, you can see how ratty the eaves look over there.  That's the biggest and worst part that still needs to be done.  Also, the downspouts need to be put back on the house and all the windows need to be caulked. Mare thinks that all this will take me about two weeks.  I say three.  Not bad either way, huh?
 
And then there's the side porch, the thing I'm most looking forward to working on.  This poor little porch has looked so sad ever since I moved in here.  Last summer it finally got a new floor (Mare built that) and I tore off the icky storm door to uncover that pretty door.  Sometime this year the porch will get a set of steps, a railing, and some lattice.  And probably different furniture...
And after that, guess what?  The outside of the house will be done.  Done!  Unless I win the lottery, I've gone as far as I can go in making this house look like it did in 1887.  (If I did win the Powerball, I'd buy the $30,000 worth of iron roof cresting the house originally had and hire a brickmason to rebuild the three chimneys, just for looks.)
Now we'll see how accurate that prediction of two or three weeks is...

8 comments:

  1. I went back and looked at the photos in the House tab. You guys have done a great, great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do that too when I get discouraged.

      Delete
  2. Oh happy to hear that Mare is healing and ready to go in a few weeks.

    It's amazing that you are almost done painting. I wish I knew what that felt like. How is the paint holding up???? We've had two pretty severe winters.

    I didn't do diddly and we are just slowing getting into the swing of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sure good news about Mare! I was so worried about him.

      The paint's holding up really well. No flaking or peeling anywhere. Scraping down to the bare wood (at least as much as possible) really helped.

      Delete
  3. Winter is the time that we are SUPPOSED to be slugs and recover from whatever productive stuff that we accomplished during the other three seasons. It's already getting warm here, and I have rebounded with great gusto. Here's hoping that your spring has truly arrived for good, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always make me feel better, Connie! :)

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you back! If it helps, I didn't do much either. Reading and wearing pajama pants seemed better than home improvement. And it was.

    ReplyDelete