Saturday, April 18, 2015

One Thing Leads To Another

Sometimes at the beginning of my days off I set a goal for myself.  Like last weekend, when I decided that the downspouts that fell off the house over the winter might work better if they were actually attached to the gutters. 
 
And then I looked at the flowerbed I outlined in the front yard and thought how ugly it looked with all that grass in it.
 
So I left the downspouts scattered in the yard (because that's not ugly, right?) and told myself that I'd just till up the flowerbed to get the grass out of it and then I'd hang the downspouts.
 
But just about the time I finished tilling up the yard (by hand, not with an electric tiller, and I have the blisters to prove it) my momma showed up with three rose bushes.  Double Knock-Out Roses.  So I said I'd just plant those rose bushes and then I'd hang the downspouts.
 
After I planted the rose bushes (after quite a bit of discussion with my momma about their placement) I thought they looked kinda lonely in there by themselves, so I dug up some epimedium (in front) and a couple catmint (in back) from another flowerbed and planted those too. 
 
In the interest of fair and accurate reporting, I feel I should tell you that the downspout visible in the above photo was already there because it's the only one that didn't fall off over the winter.
 
 
As I was carrying another downspout over to the corner of the house I noticed that now that the front flowerbed's a lot larger than it used to be there's a big empty space at that corner, so I left the downspout in the side yard and dragged Martina The Concrete Angel over to the corner.
 
 
By that time, it was starting to get dark.  The next day, it rained.  Every day since then I've been sleeping so I could work a whopping 72 hours this week.  Maybe on Monday I'll hang those downspouts...
 

8 comments:

  1. You got a lot done, though, and given me an idea for what to edge my garden beds with.

    I was using small rocks, but grass just encroaches between them. I'll have to see if I can find something like what you've used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found my plastic rocks at Walmart. They're fairly inexpensive and not too difficult to hammer into the ground.

      Delete
  2. I know the feeling! My front yard rose border reclamation project has been hijacked by more than one 'might as well' item over the last two weeks. All are items that have to do with this garden, but none of them were things that I intended to do in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel better to know that someone else operates on the "might as well" plan!

      Delete
  3. I like your edging as well. Here at the new house they have that black plastic edging that is all popping up out of the ground now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I thought about using that stuff, but I'm too lazy to dig the little trench to put it in. Haha!

      Delete
  4. This is the time of year where I'm running back and forth like an ADHD child: Garden? Paint? Indoor? Outdoor? It's hard to know what to do, and I suspect I get a lot less done than usual because I'm so unable to focus on one thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I wake up and think of 17 things that need to be done and I start one, get distracted by another, remember a third...and none of them gets finished. lol

      Delete