Saturday, January 10, 2015

Stubby

Marion called me yesterday.  Without preamble or greeting, as is his usual phone manner, as soon as I answered the phone he said, "It's gonna be more like March before we can finish the front porch."

I assumed he meant because it's about 12 degrees outside and the porch floor's covered in a thin sheet of ice, and I said as much.

"Oh yeah, that too, but the big reason is that I had a little accident with the planer."

I've known Marion for 17 years.  Marion is the King of Understatement.  I had a very bad feeling about his definition of "little accident" and I sat down suddenly, my heart racing, afraid to ask him what he meant.

"Are you still there?" he asked.

"I am," I said.

"I caught my right hand in the planer.  I still have all of my thumb and index finger, my middle finger's missing the first knuckle, and my ring finger and pinky finger are about an inch long now."

Holy hell. 

"The doctor says I'm still gonna be able to use my hand, once it heals up, but I've got about eight weeks before I'll be able to do any work on your house or anybody else's," Marion said.

"I don't give a damn about the work on my house," I said.  "I just want to know that you're okay."

"Oh, I'm fine," he said, more cheerfully than I think the situation warrants.

There is some good news in this.  Marion's left-handed, mostly, in that he writes with his left hand, but like most people who work with their hands he's actually ambidextrous.  His thumb and index finger are intact, so he can still pick things up, and the doctor thinks he'll regain some limited ability to grip.  This is winter, when there's a lull in the work anyway, so what jobs he was working on for his friend Tim (who's rehabbing a three-story commercial building in downtown Lexington) can wait until he heals up and won't be bid out to another contractor.  And lastly, he has a positive attitude about his injury.  "Maybe," he said, "I'll get a cool nickname out of this, like Stubby or something." 



15 comments:

  1. OMG! Hope for a speedy and full recovery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am just sick over this. I feel I've come to know some of the wonderful people who you talk about on your blog, and Mare is one of my favorites. I hope he takes good care of himself in his recovery period. Both body and mind. I am so sorry this happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I'm heartsick over it too. Mare's single, you know...just sayin'. ;)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Oh, geez. About the only thing good I can say about this is it could have been a lot worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That about sums it up. He was talking today about making wooden articulated fingers for himself. lol He's handling this much better than I am.

      Delete
  4. Is it still called patina when the scratches and dents are on Mare instead of say, a door?

    I hope he heals up quick, and that you both had a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I can't wait to tell him that you said that!

      Delete
  5. This is what scares me the most about using power tools. As someone who used tools for a living for 33 years, I can say I only had a few close calls and all were when I was in a hurry or was thinking about something else, but it scared the living daylights out of me.

    I hope Mare heals in a jiffy because he looks like the kind of guy who can't sit still. Sounds like he has the right attitude. Mare, Get well quickly.

    I'm married to a lefty and he can do everything with both hands except write and feed himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Power tools scare me too, Jan, which is a big reason why I've never learned how to use many of them. WTB's Sawzall and his Metabo painteater are the only power tools I really feel comfortable using, and even that Metabo scared me pretty good.

      I'll pass along your well wishes the next time I talk to him. Thanks. :)

      Delete
    2. My brother doesn't understand why the only power tool I have is a sawzall. It's because my imagination is too vivid.

      Delete
  6. Hadn't dropped by in awhile and now here's this. Ay-yi-yi. Here's best wishes and prayers for the best recovery possible, and for all the creativity in the world as Mare copes with it. But still. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch isi right! Physically and mentally. Thanks for the good wishes. I'll pass them along to Mare.

    ReplyDelete