Saturday, December 13, 2014

Just Two Hours

Marion:  "I'll be over tomorrow and we can finish up the front porch."

Me:  "Okay.  We don't have that much to do."

Marion:  "Nope, It'll only take a couple of hours and then we'll be done with it.
All we have to do is
put up those trim pieces where the porch ceiling meets the house
[the gap's wonky and wider in some places than others because 
although the porch is square to the house, 
the concrete pad it's set on is not square to the house]

and put up the trim pieces where
the porch ceiling meets the spandrel

and cover that diagonal corner seam in the ceiling 
with a flat piece of trim
and then you can paint everything."

We've had that conversation once or twice a week since November 8th, the day we put up the last two pieces of spandrel and then went to the lumberyard and bought the trim, thinking we'd put it up the next day.  It's been so long that I can't even remember for sure what kind of trim I bought.  (Probably quarter round and lattice strips.) Something always happens to prevent us from getting in that last two hours of work to finish the porch:  he ends up working late and it gets dark now at 5 p.m., or I have to go to work, or it's pouring rain, or he has to go back home (two hours away) to take care of an emergency there, or one of us has obligations on the day the other could do it.  Just two hours.  You wouldn't think it'd be that hard to find two hours.  But it is.  And the porch stays thiiiis close to being done, for the want of two hours.  Maybe tomorrow. 

9 comments:

  1. It gets dark too damn early. But at least we don't have 3 ft of snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Winter Solstice! That extra 30 seconds of daylight--yeah, never mind. I can't really see it yet. Are you still without snow?? We haven't had more than an inch or so here.

      Delete
  2. When you find them... quick..pre-prime and paint!!! Be ready when the two hours jump out at you, also, you don't really want to paint all that yardage of small trim once it is up. You'll have to wait for spring for it to be warm enough. My small collection of odd jobs need about 8 hours total but could be split up in two hour bits. Nope, not done here either. We all understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you understand. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who has these itty-bitty unfinished projects laying around. lol

      Delete
  3. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've told you this already, but we consider "Finished" to be the F-bomb around here. Things are rarely truly finished, and it's like a vulgar jolt when someone says, "It will be so nice when _____ is finished." What do you mean? I think it's pretty darned nice as it is ... missing trim and paint behanged. Effort counts for something, and finished results are WAY too over rated. You have accomplished so much in such a short amount of time. Pat yourself (and Marion, too) on the back for a job VERY well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I soooo needed to hear this, Connie! Thank you so much. I have read and re-read this comment several times, whenever I feel discouraged.

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas to you and the fur ones.

    ReplyDelete