Saturday, November 8, 2014

All The Stuff That Shows

Y'all, the porch is thiiiiis close to being done.  Thursday we put up the other two pieces of spandrel.


And Marion put the gutters on the house.  I did not help with that project because I already used up all my bravery last weekend when I clambered up on the roof at the back of the house to clean out the gutters back there and put on gutter guards. 


We transmogrified the guttering from the old porch. It had been one giant L-shaped gutter, with each leg almost 20 feet long and an outside corner.  We cut it into four separate pieces and mashed it back together with couplings and what Marion calls "gutter gack", which I suspect is not its trade name. When we were finished, the gutter had two inside corners and an outside corner, fit the lines of the house roof perfectly, and is much less obtrusive than hanging gutters on the porch itself.  We just couldn't ruin the new porch by hanging gutters on it.  Nope, no way, no how.  The gutter and downspouts will handle most of the runoff from rain and melting snow, and the little porch roof will have to deal with only what falls directly on it. Hopefully, this will solve the problem I've had in the past when there were no gutters above the porch roof.  In the spring, with the melting snow and the hard rains, the porch roof leaked like a sieve. (This also answers the question that someone had awhile back about how the flat porch roof sheds water--the gutters above it will handle most of it, and the porch roof isn't truly flat, but has a drop of about 5 inches in 7 feet.)

So what's left to do on the front porch?  Just odds and ends. All that's left to nail up are the trim pieces around the ceiling.  The rest is just painting--the spandrel, those trim pieces, bits here and there that I missed.  As Marion said, "All the stuff that shows from the street is finished." I guess that's true if you drive by kinda fast and don't crane your neck too much. 

12 comments:

  1. SWEET..... chops and a cold beer to you both... also, that side of the house looks all scrapped and primed? Great Progress! I foresee a medium grapevine Christmas tree out on that porch??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No cold beers this week ( a departure from our usual routine) but we did have supper together. The side of the house is scraped, primed, and mostly painted! I don't have a ladder tall enough to reach the eaves over there, but Marion can borrow one, and then we'll paint the eaves and the trim.

      I have an outlet on the porch, and I was seriously thinking about putting a little lighted Christmas tree out there somewhere. One of the hardware stores in town (we suddenly have three now) has a pretty good sale on Christmas stuff.

      Delete
  2. Jayne, thank you for posting all about your new porch this year! It looks great (so pretty!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that second picture you posted, your porch is literally sparkling! With the stained glass showing at the left edge of the picture, it makes me wonder if painting some of those colors on the column details would tie it all together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an idea. I'm not a color maven, but I can see that, especially looking at the photo bigified.

      Delete
    2. I can see that too, now that you mention it. You are the person who convinced me to paint my window sashes navy instead of black, and they look sooo much better! You wouldn't think that such a small difference in color could make such a big difference in appearance, but it does.

      It's funny that you mention putting some color on the porch posts, because just a couple of days ago my neighbor Guy said, "You're not gonna leave that all white, are ya?" He lives in a little Victorian around the corner, and he painted it white with pale blue and crisp red trim. He has fancy (original, lucky him!) porch posts, and he picked out the details in the pale blue and red. It looks like a dollhouse--so cute.

      Delete
  4. You are doing lovely, lovely things to that house, Ma'am. I hope it loves you right back. And does Mare hire out this far north? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! Mare lives about two hours south of me, but for the right price or a tempting project, he'd probably come to your house too!

      Delete
  5. This post brought a huge smile to my face. All your hard work has paid off and I'll bet you are so happy to see it every time you look at the outside of your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie! I have an almost permanent smile on my face these days. Next spring--attack the yard! I'll have lots of questions for you then, I imagine. :)

      Delete
  6. you are doing lovely lovely things .
    like this link.http://www.overheadgaragedoor.net/

    ReplyDelete