Sunday, October 26, 2014

Whole Lotta Paintin' Goin' On

I said if it ever quit raining, I'd make up for lost time.

I said if it stopped raining and it was warmer than 50 degrees, I'd paint and paint and paint.

And I did.

First I finished scraping, caulking and priming the east side of the house.  

Then I painted the spandrel on the front porch.


After that, I painted that big huge wall on the east side of the house, and the spandrel on the side porch, and the eaves of the side porch (note the pale blue), and the window frames and sashes of the three windows on that side of the house.  I did not, however, remember to paint that strip next to the side porch that's still yellow and green.  Gah.  Next week.


Please note that I also installed some steps for the side porch.  Ahem.  Marion is a carpenter; I am an unfolder-of-stepladder.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :)

      Delete
  2. Somehow it didn't dawn on me that the porches would have matching spandrels. Lovely, lovely, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a happy accident. I realized after I ordered the new spindles that they look a good deal like the ones on the side porch, although more, uh, spindly.

      Delete
  3. I have been following your blog for awhile now. I absolutely love what you are doing with your home. It is a wonderful transformation.Just beautiful.
    I am, however, also intrigued with your neighbors home. Is that stucco original? Maybe it is the way the light is hitting it but it looks quite rough...interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked my neighbor Floyd about it once, because it is unusual. He calls it "concrete siding", and it's on only a couple of other houses in Lexington. I think I'll do a whole blog post on their house, because it's interesting. The stucco is really rough, but it's applied in a more-or-less even pattern all over the house and it's not original to the house. There are clapboards underneath that stucco.

      Delete
    2. "There are clapboards underneath that stucco."

      Noooooooo :-)

      Delete
    3. I feel the same way. Wait until you see the front of their house.

      Delete
  4. Never doubted it would all come together. Serendipity on that side porch.
    It all looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I had moments where I doubted that it would all come together!

      Delete
  5. Lots of rewards for all the hard work! Beautiful! Lol on the stepladder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lottie! It makes me happy now to walk around the house and see it alllllmost finished....at least on the outside. I'm hoping to get some real steps on that side porch before winter, but it's looking less and less likely.

      Delete