Sunday, September 14, 2014

Thursday and Friday

Thursday morning we got up bright and early.  My entryway looks more like a hardware store than a pretty little foyer.
 


 In almost no time at all, Mare had one side of the mansard roof shingled. 


And then he shingled the other half, and we put up a metal roof edge.

After that we wandered around a little bit while we waited on the lumberyard to deliver the roof decking and the rest of the roofing materials for the flat part of the roof.  We went to lunch while we waited.  We came back from lunch and waited some more.  At 1:30 p.m. the lumberyard called to say that they wouldn't be able to deliver our supplies that day. This is the third time in as many weeks that this has happened.  Grr. 

So I scraped some more paint off the east side of the house, and I wondered again why I left the most daunting wall on the whole house for last.  Why?  Why??  

Friday morning we got up bright and early again, because the lumberyard said they'd deliver the roof decking "first thing in the morning".  Apparently their idea of "first thing in the morning" is 9:30 a.m.  Grr.  

And then it started raining.  Sigh.

While it was raining, Mare and I stood in the front parlor and talked about how we were going to get five sheets of 5/8" roof decking from the sidewalk to the roof.  One at a time, obviously, but still.  In case y'all are also small people who aren't super-strong (or if you're just curious) this is how we did it:  we set up two ladders a few feet apart, picked up a sheet of plywood, leaned it against the ladder, and pushed it up as high as we could while standing on the ground.  Then I held up the plywood all by myself  and channeled my inner Xena Warrior Princess as Mare ran over, climbed up the other ladder, balanced on the rafters, and grabbed the top of the plywood.  He pulled and I pushed while climbing up a rung or two on the ladder until we had the damn thing wrestled onto the rafters.  This was not fun.  At all.

All hail the first sheet of plywood, nailed in place.

Four more times of wrestling plywood (only two more of which were full sheets) and the porch roof was decked.
See that roll of black stuff in the photo above?  That's rubber roofing.  It gets rolled out and glued down like giant strips of wallpaper.  Only a bigger pain in the hiney.

Especially when there's only about an inch and half between the porch roof and the eaves of the house roof.  So I made an applicator out of a paint stirrer, a sock, and a rubber band so that my son could get the glue all the way back to the edges of the porch roof.  The rest of the glue was rolled onto both the roof decking and the rubber roofing with a paint roller on a pole.

And then the wind came up and blew a flap of the rubber roofing over onto itself so that it stuck together, and without thinking Mare ran over to pull it apart, stepped in the glue, and nearly became a part of the roof himself.  I would've taken a photo but I was too busy laughing and trying to act like I was having a coughing fit so that Mare wouldn't get mad at me. 

Later I got this photo, though, which is even better.
Judging by the goofy look on his face, I'd say Marion is pretty happy that the roof's done.

I probably had a goofy look on my face too, after we stood in the middle of the street and looked at the porch for awhile. 

It almost looks finished, doesn't it?  Almost.  Except that there's no ceiling in it, it doesn't have spandrel, and it's not painted...


16 comments:

  1. So excited for you. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tremendous amount of work and craftsmanship, and the results are well worth it. It looks wonderful with the rest of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mare's a genius carpenter, that's just all there is to it. I had this idea that the house would look different and better with the "correct" porch, but I didn't realize what a big difference it would make in the appearance of the house.

      Delete
  3. okay... call me challenged and not a builder or architect but... how does the flat part drain off during a rain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a really good question, and one I worried about too. The roof does have a pitch/slope to it somewhat--it drops about 2 inches in 7 feet--which is enough for the rain to roll off. (That's the original pitch of the roof, incidentally.) The porch roof we replaced had almost no slope to it at all, and rain pooled there every time it rained. We're also going to put guttering on the eaves of the house roof, just above the porch roof, and run a downspout down the east (right) side of the house so that the porch roof won't have to handle all the runoff from the whole house.

      Delete
  4. It looks fabulous! Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. question... I once read where if you paint the porch roof a light blue, you will not get pestered to death with bees, wasp and birds making nests (they think it is sky and so are fooled). Given your height, and wanting to avoid messing up your concrete floor, could you paint the worst of ceiling BEFORE it goes up so all you would have to do is touch up? Also, we have a palstic owl who stands guard on on porch... we move it around about once a week... no birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean the porch ceiling, not the great looking roof! Good job, this porch will be the envy of the historical group!

      Delete
    2. I knew you meant ceiling. ;) It'll be painted pale blue. The undersides of the eaves and the side porch ceiling are a color called Crisp Air and the front porch ceiling will be the same color. I'll try to remember to post a photo so you can see the color.

      I thought about painting the beadboard before it goes up. I think it would work, and then all I'd have to do is caulk the nail holes and, like you said, touchups if we nicked some of the paint off. I'm gonna try it anyway and see what happens.

      I didn't think about a plastic owl. I wonder if it would work for squirrels?? I have a LOT of squirrels in my yard!

      Delete
    3. sorry... we still get squirrels... it to the point that at least twice a season we live trap them and release them to a woods out in the country.

      Delete
  6. First: This is gorgeous. Gorgeous! Second: I laughed out loud at your "pretty little foyer" picture. My "pretty little foyer" currently contains two pairs of filthy socks, one empty and one half-used tub of window glazing, an extension cord, a power sander, an oil-primer paint brush wrapped in a baggie, a box cutter, a scraper, two garden gloves (not matching), an assortment of hammers, screwdrivers, and putty knives, and a roll of clear construction plastic. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roofing is one of the toughest jobs in renovating a house. So finishing it can really put a big smile on everyone’s face, just like on Marion's. It was a smile of relief, because from then on, he’s assured that he has a strong roof over his head. Cheers!

    Pleasance Faast @ Shelton Roofing

    ReplyDelete