Tuesday, August 5, 2014

And The Rug Went Whoosh!

If you follow me on Twitter (and if you don't, you should) you may have noticed a few odd tweets lately.

A more-frequent-than-usual mention of tears.  

An increase in the number of F-bombs deployed in my tweets.

My friends checking in on me and expressing concern about my general welfare.

There's a reason for that.  A reason I haven't shared until now because I didn't know how to bring it up, and also because I was embarrassed to admit I was struggling.  I'm supposed to be a badass, you know, affected by nothing.  Wonder Woman doesn't cry over stuff, right?

Whatever.  

So here's what happened.  On May 6th, all of us dispatchers got called into a mandatory meeting, which is never a good thing, but it's particularly worrisome when you pull into the parking lot and see the vehicles of the Chief, the Deputy Chief, and the entire Union Executive Board.  Uh-oh.  Time to panic.

The Chief dropped the bombshell:  all nine of us communications officers are being laid off due to budget cuts and dispatch services are being shipped out to another agency.  Time frame?  Ninety days or so.  

And the metaphorical rug went whoosh! right out from underneath me.

I've never been a person who makes long-range plans, who counts on things always staying the same, who does things like set up retirement accounts and college funds for my as-yet-unborn grandchildren.  But a couple of years ago, when I turned 45, I thought maybe it was time to Become A Grown-Up.  Yeah, at 45. I'm something of a late bloomer, folks.  So I started saving money like crazy and paying extra on my mortgage and my car payment, and not using credit cards, and thinking about things like Return On Investment and Risk-Reward, all with an eye towards retiring at 60 and getting a part-time job that doesn't involve talking to people who are bleeding to death.  All of this was based on having a job at a fire department with the best salary and benefits in the Kansas City Metro area.  

And then the rug went whoosh!

I did not handle this well.  Not at all.  I handled it so poorly that I was very nearly sent home from work that night, but I convinced my supervisor that I was probably better off at work than at home all alone.  The next day I curled up in bed for 14 hours during which I alternately cried, slept, and ate Haagen Dazs off the same spoon as the dog.  

And of course, my first reaction, predictably, involved the house and went something like this:  wtf am I doing tearing off a perfectly good porch just because I don't like it and spending thousands of dollars to build a new one when I'm not gonna have a job in three months because that's just insane.  Then I got better. Then I panicked.  Then I decided that I really can make my house payment (barely) off the salary at QuikTrip.  Then I spent half a day curled up in bed crying. Then I got pissed off and threw a hammer across the yard.  At some point in the middle of all that, my best friend's mom was LifeFlighted to a neuro center after a stroke, and several bad days of missing White Trash Bob all glommed up on me at once and I bawled like a little kid when Mare asked me if I had a bigger prybar (I said "I can just run over to Bob's house and--oh."), and my favorite ex (The Big Indian, who some of y'all might remember) took a turn for the worse with his Afghanistan-induced TBI and PTSD so I camped out at his house to keep him from checking out permanently.  Because I like having my emotional plate heaped high, apparently.  

There is hopeful news:  today we learned that our last day here is September 2nd, which is of course bittersweet, but at least now we know; a few days ago I learned that I've reached the background check portion of the hiring process for an area police department and that I'm their first choice; both my best friend's mom and The Big Indian are doing much better; and the Fire Board agreed to give us two months' salary as severance.  

At some point, and I can't really tell you when that was, I decided that there's no way up or over or around this situation and the only thing to do is just to keep walking straight ahead and through it until I come out on the other side of it somehow.  Because I will get through this.  I will come out on the other side of it. Somehow.  Just don't ask me for specifics because I will lose my schidt again and cry, and I am an ugly crier.  

19 comments:

  1. You're a hard worker and I am sure you will land on your feet. You never know maybe the next job will open a door to something exciting or someone exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. My friend Randy said the other night, "When one door closes, another one opens. It's that dark hallway in between that's a bitch." Had to laugh at the truth of that one!

      Delete
  2. Crap. Fingers crossed about the new possible job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, crap, and worse. Hey, at least that investment portfolio you helped me with is doing well, and I get to take it with me!

      Delete
  3. and I thought I was having a bad month... It looks like things are already coming together, and in the words of Churchill and my fav fridge magnet, "if you're going though hell, keep going."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ARE having a bad month. So much harder losing a pet than losing a job. I like that Churchill quote. I think it might be part of a country song...

      Delete
  4. One foot in front of the other... and "see those footprints in the sand?"... That's God carrying me right now. My year is not quite as yucky as yours, but darn close. I've cried, whined (wined) and am just thinking we are over half way through 2014. Must be a good thing, because I do not want to see what else it can throw at me. Thanks for God's help, and the knowledge that many are sharing my shoes. HANG IN THERE... you can do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. 2013 was a pretty crappy year and I was hoping that 2014 would be better. The last half had better be awesome!

      Delete
  5. Well I guess there were clues. You did mention a job interview. I wondered about that.
    Fortunately you are all healed and well. That is is good news. What if this had happened when you were in the throes of dealing with that torture splint? Of course you will get it all together. I don't doubt it for a minute. You go girl. Waiting for the next chapter in this soap opera. That reminds me. What about the "third date"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the perspective--that's very true.

      The third date was really good. He's one of the sweetest guys I've ever met. We have a kinda cute history/story. Maybe I should share it.

      Delete
  6. What Karen Anne said, and possibly a few more choice words that aren't fit to print. However, I believe from what I've read on this blog that you're a mighty strong woman. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! Hanging in there is what I do best...possibly because I've had so much practice at it.

      Delete
  7. Oh Jayne, what a heart felt post! I know you do feel like the rug was pulled out from under you! But change is always a learning experience and we do grow. I hope the very best for you and an exciting opportunity to meet new challenges and new people, Cry for now, but the best is yet to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lottie, I'm learning and learning ... I'm also hoping for the best and trying to stay positive. The past couple days have been better.

      Delete
  8. What you have accomplished has always amazed me. You have gone through so many obstacles that would cause most people to give up. but you always seem to bust right through land on your feet even stronger, more determined and committed on your projects. I can only see this as a minor inconvenience for you and your house. I cant wait to see what you accomplish next.

    Lottie's Husband

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lottie's Husband, thank you so much. I'm gonna start saying "This is just a minor inconvenience for me and my house". New mantra.

      Delete
  9. Here is the good news. Look at all the loving support you have. There are so many of us that care about you and are so impressed with what you accomplish. We just don't check in. You will get a new job. You will have a great new perfect porch. All in due time. This too shall pass.
    M&M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have lots of loving support, and that means the world to me. It's truly what keeps me going when things get difficult. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  10. Just wanted to recommend 2 books that I found helpful:
    48 Days To the Work you Love by Dan Miller
    Start by Jon Acuff

    Happy to hear the positive news about the job lead

    ReplyDelete