Tuesday, June 10, 2014

I Can't See It

This is not just a photo of the back of my house showing that I finished painting it.  (Jan, please note that I even painted the electric meter!)
 Nope.  It's more than that.  It's a photo of what denial looks like. It's a photo of an oasis.  Because I can sit back here on my patio, look around, and not see any giant projects that need to be completed.  (I do need to paint the window sashes and trim and replace the storm door, but that's just a day's work so it hardly counts.)  Sitting back here, I can't see the stack of scrap lumber under the carport.  I can't see the east side of the house that's two-thirds unpainted.  I can't see the ginormous heap of demolition debris that's piled up over there, either.  

And I can almost pretend that the disaster on the front porch doesn't exist because I can't see it.  Sigh.

This week, the boys tell me, this week if it doesn't rain the front porch demolition will be finished.  

ps:  If you click on the photo to bigify it, you can see Louis Cat's pitiful face in the bedroom window.

10 comments:

  1. Poor little kitty.

    Great job on painting that meter. I always paint my meters or try to plant something in front of it.

    Love that color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Louis. He doesn't care so much that I'm going to work; it's that I'm leaving and he has to stay inside the house that bothers him. lol

      Thanks, I've had a lot of compliments about the color.

      Delete
  2. The painting looks really good.

    I sometimes wonder what it's like to live in a house that's not "in progress," and what my non-house-fixing up relatives think when they visit mine. I'm probably lucky I haven't been hauled away :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I wonder that too. My relatives often tell me they think I'm crazy and say things like "think how much money you'd have if..."

      Delete
  3. It isn't denial, it's tunnel vision ... a skill necessary for surviving any sort of comprehensive remodel. Old house renovation is full of things that should be attended to, but we can't do it all and nothing will be perfect. Sit back and relish a job well done, then get to working on another one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great to me! Looks like progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody needs a place to escape. It think getting this one area done is a mental health initiative. Smart move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a mental health initiative, Christine!

      Delete