Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Biggerer

Hey, look!  The hole in the porch roof is bigger!  Or, as I said to one of my friends when I stumbled over my words, "biggerer".  

It's really hard to take a decent photo of the porch roof--or what's left of it--while standing on the porch.  I should send my camera up on the roof with my son so you can see the progress better, but in the meantime this not-very-good photo will have to do.

The porch is L-shaped, and now the roof over the longer end of the L is gone.  All that's left of the roof is that area over the front door that you can kinda see in the photo.  Hopefully, that will be gone soon.  We have to work around the weather and our weird job schedules to get anything done.


Our fervent hope is that, once the roof is gone, the rest of the demolition will go pretty quickly.  The guys took the gutter off a couple of weeks ago, and as soon as the roof's all gone, they'll start sawing through the edges and take them out in big chunks.  Or that's the idea, anyhow.  The reality might turn out to be something completely different.  Along the way they'll save those porch posts (which aren't old; they're from Home Depot) and the decorative brackets next to them that Mare made so we can re-use them.  And then I'll have to track down Mare, who's been MIA since the demolition started, to see if he's still going to build the new porch.





6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be safe. I see a tornado is heading your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was headed straight for us, but it broke up before it got Lexington. Whew! We were eating at the pub when the tornado sirens went off and we all ran down to the basement.

      Orrick, Mo., about 20 miles or so from us, was hit by an EF2 tornado. That's the town where my older siblings grew up. Some damage there, but thankfully no injuries.

      Delete
    2. Happy to hear that it broke up before getting to your town.

      Delete
  3. I just realized some of your neighborhood is visible in that photo - is that a Victorian across the street, the one with the round(?) something or other porch section? Was that WTB's house? It looks like a neighborhood with nice neighborly neighbors. I don't know why I think that from seeing two houses :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great neighborhood! I love my neighborhood, and my neighbors are really friendly and supportive. The house with the round porch is The Parsonage Bed & Breakfast, owned by Carl Fredrickson. He's made an appearance or two on the blog as "Mr. Carl". His B&B is so named because at one time it was the parsonage for the Christian Church down the street. The white house on the corner is an early 1900s (1906, maybe) house that my friend Lou thinks looks similar to the house in The Amityville Horror. lol

      I should take more photos of my neghborhood. There are a lot of beautiful houses here. Look for WTB's house in my next post--pretty sure you can see it in the background of at least one of the photos. Rumor has it that his house will be going up for sale soon.

      Delete