Monday, March 3, 2014

I Was Thinking

A couple of weeks ago, Mare and I went to supper at the pub and this happened.

Me:  So I was thinking...

Mare:  Uh-oh.

Me:  Stop.  This is a good thing.  I was thinking that we should rebuild my front porch--

Mare:  The front porch?!  The one we just rebuilt?!

Me:  That was five years ago.

Mare:  Okay, the one we just rebuilt five years ago.  

Me:  We didn't really rebuild  it.  That's an exaggeration.  We just replaced the porch posts.

Mare:  And ripped out the walls so it wasn't closed in.

Me:  Well, yeah...

Mare:  And screened it in.

Me:  Part of it.  Which I was never really sure about.

Mare:  So take out the screen panels. [Which is possible; he built it so the screen panels are inside the porch posts and could be removed fairly easily.]

Me:  I'd like to do more than that...

Mare:  I thought you said this was a good thing.

Me:  It is.  It totally is.  We can tear off that porch and rebuild it to the original dimensions.  It would look a lot better.

Mare:  It would be a lot of work.  The original porch had a mansard roof.

Me:  Exactly.  So this one looks weird.  It's too big.

Mare:  It kinda is...You know, I rebuilt the porch on my house down the street back to the original dimensions using the marks on the house.

Me:  And you did that on the Captain's House out south of town, too.  Same thing.

Mare:  That is an awesome porch.

Me:  It is.  My porch could be awesome too.

Mare:  I'll have to think about this...

[Insert dramatic foreshadowy music here.  Like maybe this.]


6 comments:

  1. I can't tell, from the picture in My House, what the original porch looked like...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a terrible photo. Dylan's trying to edit it to make it easier to see; if that doesn't work (and I suspect it won't) then he's going to try to meld together two photos to show what it looked like.

      Delete
  2. This is the part where I'm so excited for you, while at the same time being incredibly jealous! Can't wait for more updates...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

      Delete
  3. Was that really five years ago? Wow, time flies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it does! I didn't realize that it had been that long either. Five years in April.

      Delete