Monday, January 13, 2014

Training for Crazytown

Hello?

...tap tap...tap tap tap...

Is this thing on??

Sorry, y'all, that it's been so long since I've written.  I've been working really hard on my winter project.  Not the ceiling in the back bedroom, which was supposed to be my winter project and which got derailed when I got hurt.  A new project that kinda sucks:  working on the rehab of my right arm.  Turns out it's harder than I thought.  (But then, I go into almost everything thinking that it's not gonna be that bad, and then when it is, I complain about it.)

When the orthopedic office released me in mid-December, they wished me a merry Christmas and good luck but didn't refer me to physical therapy.  I tried for a couple of weeks on my own with limited success. Then I talked to one of the guys at work who's had a broken collarbone and surgery on both rotator cuffs (ouch!) and he showed me a bunch of exercises to improve mobility and get my strength back.  Dylan (my son) made a pulley for me which hangs from one of my door lintels so that I can use my left arm to pull my right arm higher and get those muscles and tendons stretched out again.  This is not fun.  But it's necessary.

So this is just to say that I'm taking the good advice of Laura at On The Doorstep, who advised me not to "go all Crazytown" with pent-up projects.  I'm behaving myself and working hard at physical therapy.  You might say I'm training for Crazytown.  I'll probably do a couple of little things here and there before then (like finishing the last couple of sawed-in-half doors and scraping some paint) but I expect to arrive smack in the middle of Crazytown about mid-April, with a big project that ought to make up for taking the winter off.

8 comments:

  1. You just have to do the therapy or your shoulder will lock up. You'll find yourself using it less and less and working around the limited mobility and if you do that long enough you'll never get it back. Ask me. My husband is going to rework a large drawer to accommodate my plates etc.

    It's been a crappy winter so far so you haven't missed anything. I swear if we have another polar vortex I'll book a one way ticket to crazy town. I am sooooo over winter. My trees are ruined. Snow is everywhere. Salt is on my wood floors. My SUV is just trashed out from wet snow. And I am panicking about what my utility bill will be when we get it. I'm almost thankful that we had 3 days of no power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm afraid of, that my shoulder will lock up. I keep pushing (literally) through it because I'm worried that I won't get full mobility back. It's a slow process.

      It's truly been a crappy winter! Sorry to hear that your trees are ruined. That's sad, and that will be a big mess to clean up in the spring, won't it? I hate the polar vortex. I got my gas bill and it's almost as much as my car payment. Yikes.

      Delete
  2. Would it help to soak it in warm water? Good excuse to veg out in the bathtub :-)

    I'm worried about the animals due to the polar vortex. Even though it's warmer now, the number of birds and other critters visiting my deck feeders is way down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stand in the shower until the hot water runs out! :) I should soak in the tub...maybe with a good book...and a cup of tea...yes, I think that's on the agenda very soon.

      I have hardly any birds this year either. The animal rescue organization in town made and distributed a bunch of shelter boxes for feral cats and such, so I hope that helps. It was so cold.

      Delete
  3. This is one of those times when rehab is more important than any crazytown job... you do not want your shoulder to lock up, nor do you want to revisit another surgery, or last but not least, recurrent weakness in the whole arm. Just let us know you are having still alive, we can wait for the projects. Do not overdo it, nor underdo it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the trick, to neither overdo it not underdo it. Some days I think I do too much; other days I know I don't do enough. Thanks for hanging in here with me!

      Delete
  4. I'm afraid everyone else is right. Rehab is more important than anything else. We have to do everything necessary to preserve our general level of fabulousness. You will have to save Crazytown for later. By then you'll be ready for it! And thanks for the shout out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "General level of fabulousness". Love that! My nails are looking quite nice this winter, with polish and everything, due to not working on house projects. So in that way, my level of fabulousness has improved a little. :)

      Delete