Saturday, July 13, 2013

That Tricky Little Slide Bolt

This is, obviously, a door.  A door between the laundry room and the bathroom, to be exact.  But it's not just a door.  It's a cause for celebration.

You see, for the entire 6 years, 7 months and some-odd days that I've lived in this house there hasn't been a decent door here.

There was a Dutch door before.

Yes.  A Dutch door.  In a bathroom.  What the what??*

The Dutch door closed with a tricky little slide bolt on the bathroom side and didn't have a doorknob, so although you could open the door from the laundry room side by pushing on it, you couldn't close it from that side and expect it to stay closed.  Actually, you couldn't really ever expect the bathroom door to stay closed no matter which side of the door you were on.  That tricky little slide bolt meant that it was possible to have unexpected company in the bathroom, especially since the bathroom door's right by the back door, which is the main door to my house.  Surprise!

This became a little aggravating over the years.  (That might be an understatement.)

Once I got over the idea that I had to have a really cool vintage door there--I mean, once I discovered that a really cool vintage door that's only 24 inches wide doesn't exist in my part of the country--I bought a new door and my son helped me hang it.  Dylan also put in a nice doorknob with one of those little push-button locks.  It works perfectly.  The whole task took like half an hour.

I put off a half-hour chore for six and a half years.  That's probably an all-time record for procrastination.

*I actually do know the reason for the Dutch door in the bathroom, and the one in the kitchen as well.  A couple who lived in my house in the early 1970s ran a cab company and what's now my laundry room was the office for Eddie's Cab.  They didn't want people who came into the office to be able to wander through the house, but they wanted to be able to see and hear their customers, so they put Dutch doors in the two doors leading from the office into the rest of the house.  (I'm guessing they didn't use that bathroom during, uh, business hours.)

9 comments:

  1. I don't think six years and seven months is a record, just saying :-) I have a existence proofs of that statement in my own house.

    Sometimes I wonder what it's like to live in a house that isn't "in progress."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen Anne, that makes me feel better! I wonder what it's like to live in a house that's not in progress too. What do people do with all their spare time?? :)

      Delete
  2. People live in houses that are not in progress?! Wha?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You put off those half-hour chores for six years and seven months not because of laziness, indifference, or inability. You put those off because these projects have a strange way of masquerading as innocent little things but once started have a good chance of metastasizing into weeks-long, frustration-inducing, multiple hardware store trip cuss-fests that make you old before your time. I'm eyeing replacing the rusty bolts in the bathroom door at my house. An even smaller job. I think. Who knows? I'm suspicious about the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rusty bolts in the hinges (are those called bolts?)? Why not remove one and soak it in rust remover as a test instead of trying to find a replacement.

      The only problem I found with working on rusty hinges is that doors weigh a lot so they are cumbersome to handle.

      Delete
    2. Laura, that's the reason I put off a lot of things--because I think it will transmogrify into a gigantic project and I'll get in over my head!

      I think those things in the bolts are called pins. I'd try the rust remover too, and then maybe (depending on what they look like) hit 'em with a little Rustoleum spray paint to keep them rust-free. Working on doors alone is no fun.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I was talking about hinge pins. They are pretty stinkin' bad looking right now, but I'll have to take the door down to figure out how much work they'll be, and.....well. You know. I can look at the rust a little while longer, right?

      Delete
  4. I would have switched doors as soon as the first awkward moment with unexpected company in the bathroom took place. But hey, I also understand that some things may be more important. Like watching TV or sleeping perhaps? Jokes aside, glad you finally got a new bathroom door.

    ReplyDelete