Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Ain't Got No Alibi

I was never a cheerleader, but the ceiling in my back bedroom (aka the Room of Shame) inspires me to break out a cheer.

Ready? Oh-kay!

Wait.  I gotta show y'all something first.

 Look at that dropped ceiling.  Pretty bad, huh?  Nice water stains over there on the side too.

Ready?  Oh-kay!

Wait.  You gotta see this, too.


Above the dropped ceiling, guess what?  Another yucky ceiling!  I think it's acoustic tile, probably asbestos.

Ready?  Oh-kay!

Wait, wait.  One more.  No, really, y'all have to see this.
A close-up of the second ceiling.  Part of it's gone.  That's what makes it really special.  Alright, now we're ready.  Pick up those pom-poms.

Ready?  Oh-kay!

U-G-L-Y!  You ain't got no alibi!  You're UGLY!  Hey, hey, you're ugly!

11 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the kitchen in an old Italianate home I once owned. They layers of ceiling just kept going and going. Then there were even layers of roofs. Yes, they actually built the addition directly over the existing smallish addition. Crazy stuff.

    I'm looking at pictures of plank board ceilings on Houzz. I think I need one. The look would work for your place as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scares me. I hadn't even thought of layers of roofs. Thanks, Christine. Haha!

      I'm wishing for a plank ceiling too! The Lettered Cottage did one and it looks great.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm afraid I'll get in there and the ceiling will be like an artichoke.

      Delete
  3. That is exciting! Just think how much taller that room will be when you remove those dropped ceilings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, just eyeballing it, that it will be 18" to 24" taller. Muuuuuch nicer.

      Delete
  4. I would STRONGLY suggest getting a respirator-type mask in the likely case of either asbestos fibers or mold spores, not to mention just plain scary dust kangaroos. On top of a dropped ceiling in my house is what appears to be a plaster ceiling with cracks and layers of wallpaper. Yeah, the dropped ceiling ended up staying as I still have not gotten brave. I would also agree with Kate and Sharon... I don't know about a plank board ceiling as opposed to a nice detail like a picture rail when all the height is available... how about a storage shelf with small lidded baskets for off season clothes? Dream time to help offset the thought of all the possible yuck ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lord only knows what yucky, poisonous, lung-damaging stuff is up there. Definitely using a respirator! I LOVE the idea of a storage shelf, since there's not much storage in this house.

      Delete
  5. I like the light shade. I have a box of old light shades from ebay that are waiting to go up once I have my ceilings in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a sentimental attachment to that light shade because it's identical to the one in my childhood bedroom. I might leave it just because of that.

      Delete