Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Devil's In The Details

The storage cabinets in the laundry room were really getting on my nerves.

I have to have them because they hide a lot of my junk like a shop vac, brooms, cans of paint, various cleaning supplies, gardening tools (like I have a garden!--someday), and a big orange EMS box that my tools are in.  They're not very well made, just sheets of paneling nailed onto what's essentially a big ol' plywood shelf.  I thought about tearing them out and replacing them, but that would turn this medium-sized project into a larger one, and I don't have the time for that. This is already February, so Outside Painting Season is just around the corner.

And then there's those hinges.  I thought I hated them, so I considered taking them all off and replacing them.  Then I realized that would entail prying off itty-bitty pieces of molding, because the hinges are under the molding, and then replacing 11 hinges and 4 handles.  Not fun.

So, I did what I do best:  I made do with what I have, and I painted.

Two coats of paint didn't really improve the looks of the cabinets much, so I put two more coats on. That helped.  Then I took a look at the hinges and decided that Kathy was right when she said in a comment on an earlier post that they're kinda vintage-y looking.  I figured out that what really bugs me about the hinges is that some of them are copper-finish and some of them are black.  So I bought a little can of Rustoleum and went to work with a tiny paintbrush. Better already.


Now what's really getting on my nerves is that I robbed the trim from the laundry room to use in the bathroom, thinking that it would be a long, long time before I re-did the laundry room, and now I have to replace it...

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm kicking myself, I really am! :)

      Delete
  2. I think it looks fresher and cleaner.. Those projects take a toll! I have some painting to do to and waiting for Spring break .. to do it.. well, so that my husband can do it.. lol looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! For some reason a bible verse jumps out at me as I read this. Love covers a multitude of sins....or in this case...a little TLC. Great job on those hinges, they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete