Friday, January 4, 2013

Bathroom Reveal

The little bathroom at the back of the house was the room I hated the most.  Now it just might be my favorite room in the whole house.  (Although, in fairness, every time I finish a room that room becomes my favorite.)

And so without further delay, I present the obligatory mouseover before-and-after photo.  The before is what the room looked like when I moved in.




And more photos...

A better look at the main part of the bathroom.
 The hook with the little bird that I just had to have, holding up my new hand towel.  I love, love, love those towels.
 A close-up of the stenciled floor that took me hours and hours and hours to do.
 A closer look at the vanity that took us all day to install.  I swapped out the knobs it came with for these little blue glass flowers.
A better view of some of the chair rail and the wall color.


And now I'm gonna have to find another room to hate on.  I have just the room in mind...and it's actually far worse than the bathroom ever was...

SOURCES
Vanity:  Lowe's 
Chair rail:  Nerd's Hardware & Home Center; Lexington, Mo.
Trim corners:  Home Depot
Beadboard wallpaper:  Lowe's
Tin ceiling wallpaper (not shown):  Home Depot
Mirrored medicine cabinet:  Home Depot

Towel bar, toilet paper holder & faucet:  WalMart
Bird hook, bath sign, vanity knobs:  Hobby Lobby

Blue paint:  Valspar LaFonda Mirage; Lowe's
White paint:  Valspar Gilded Linen; Lowe's
Teal paint:  Valspar Fish Story (Porch & Floor Paint); Lowe's
Stencil:  Hobby Lobby
Framed bird prints:  Hobby Lobby
Waffle-weave shower curtain (not shown):  Target
Towels:  HomeGoods


18 comments:

  1. The bathroom looks great. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing how paint and some elbow grease can transform a room! I love it!! Looks incredibly beautiful!! give yourself a high five!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That room has been a thorn in your side for a long time. I love the artwork with the birds. It is the perfect compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Love your attention to detail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very lovely.

    A+ job...give yourself a gold star.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely result. The bird hook is adorable and the floor is spectacular. So...will you be stenciling the laundry room floor, too? The lead glass insert in the window is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everybody!

    Kathy, I am in fact giving serious consideration to stenciling the laundry room floor. Because I am a glutton for punishment. (Actually, it won't be an allover stencil like this one was.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your stenciled floor. It makes the room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think a border stencil would be cool - very attractive and much less work. Didn't people used to get a carpet look by stenciling borders on their floors back in colonial days?

    ReplyDelete
  10. O. My. Gosh. Look at that FLOOR! With everything lined up beautifully and not smudged or anything. Too bloody marvellous. And it proves these things can actually get done.

    Speaking as a fellow floor painter, how long did it take you, and how bad was the crick in your neck after each stencilling session?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate, not everything's lined up beautifully...I don't know how I did it, but somehow I got one of the stencils a little wonky on the other end of the room and the pattern runs together for about a 4-inch-wide strip. Grrr. From beginning to end (including prepping the floor) I think it took me somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 hours. The crick in my neck was pretty bad, and my knees complained too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, your floor looks amazing, well done!Love the birdie hook as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so do you put down the floor paint first (as a primer) and then use whatever color to stencil on top (regular wall paint?) and if it's regular color is it interior or exterior?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leanne, I used Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer on the floor first (after I sanded off the shiny finish on the floor and then cleaned it), then I used Valspar Exterior Paint in Gilded Linen as the background color (the white), then I used Valspar Porch & Floor Paint to stencil the design. I put two coats of poly over the whole thing. If I had it to do all over again, I would have used Porch & Floor Paint for both colors and skipped the top coats of poly. I'm working on my laundry room floor now and I used two coats of the Zinsser primer and 3 coats of Porch & Floor Paint and it's wearing really well. The laundry room floor gets a LOT of traffic from people, cats, and a hyper dog and the paint isn't chipping or scratching off at all. I'll be doing a post about the laundry room floor later this week, so look for that. If you have any other questions, please just ask away!

      Delete
  14. Hi Jayne, very glad that I've stumbled upon your blog c: My bathroom floor is uuuugly, and I love this idea. It looks amazing. Was just wondering how well it has held up since January? Thanks, Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie! I'm glad you stumbled upon my blog, too. :)

      The floor has held up really well. There's one small place about 2 inches by 2 inches near the toilet where a bit of the paint flaked off. The old vinyl floor underneath is shiny, so my guess is that I missed that part of the floor when I was sanding the finish off the old vinyl. I mop the floor at least once a week and it hasn't worn off anywhere else. I think the top coats of poly have helped it wear so well. (I didn't put poly on the laundry room floor and I wish I had. It has just a few scuffs here and there.) If you do this, just be really sure you sand all the gloss off your old floor and it should be fine.

      Delete