Sunday, December 9, 2012

All Things Considered

At the beginning of my days off, way back on Wednesday morning, I channeled my inner Scarlett O'Hara and vowed that I would finish the bathroom ceiling.  I papered it with stuff that looks a little like tin ceiling, which may or may not be a really stupid idea considering that there's a lot of steam in a bathroom and steam is the best method for removing wallpaper.  I decided that I would caulk all the wallpaper seams and then put two coats of paint on it to protect it from the steam.  I finished half of it.  Not all of it, but it's a pretty good start.  Considering all the other things I could have done by channeling my inner Scarlett O'Hara, it's not so bad.  I mean, I didn't kill any Yankees in the past four days, fool around with a married man, or steal my sister's boyfriend, so all in all I think I'm good.


I did get some other things done.  (Wholly unrelated to Scarlett O'Hara.)  I hung chair rail on one side of the bathroom, cut down some baseboard and quarter round and put it back, painted the rest of the beadboard wallpaper, and put up a towel rod and a toilet paper holder.  That last item I'm especially proud of, since there hasn't been a toilet paper holder in that bathroom for six years.  A phone jack on the side of the old vanity, yes, but not a toilet paper holder.  What phone call is soooo important that you'd need to install a phone jack mere inches from the toilet so that you'd be sure not to miss a call while you're in there doin' your bidness?  People have different priorities, I guess.




14 comments:

  1. Got ya beat...no toilet paper holder for all 28 years we have lived here. You sort of get used to it and forget you don't have one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bathroom is really looking great.

    There's a hotel (yes, Marriott, I mean you) near and inland from where I live where I've stayed a couple of times during hurricanes. They have the toilet paper holder positioned so that you have to reach backwards about a foot in a direction the human arm was not designed to bend to reach it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sorta hoping you'd whip up a ball gown out of some old drapes....but the bathroom is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sept 10, 2007... you mentioned a "Charlie" and "Rick" who came to fix a water leak... any relation to the present Charlie? I wonder because the description of him still matches if it was him. Wow... wish my guy still looked like that...come to say it out loud, wish I still looked good too. Why is it almost easier to pretty up things like a house than ourselves???? Your room is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous, The Charlie who fixed my water leak is a different Charlie. There are a lot of handsome men in Lafayette County! You are so right--it's easier to pretty up the house than ourselves. When did that happen? I used to be much more girl-y.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, LMBO!! Now that would be a feat! Remember the Carol Burnett skit? One of my favorites!

    Karen Anne, I think my toilet paper holder might be kinda like that too....

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL...my husband installs phone systems and he once had to install two phones - one on each side of the bed - because the client wanted to be able to answer the phone regardless of which side he ended up sleeping on. Don't forget, Three Men & A Baby put a phone in the shower...since you seem to love movies. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What happened to your house pictures on the sidebar?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jayne,
    I have a corner trim board question for you and cannot see an email so you get it here. It looks like you have the corner trim pieces on your house, yes? At the corners on top of your siding?
    I have a maintenance question for you if so....
    blueshoefarm at gmail. -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea, I'm sending you an email. I need to put mine on here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen Anne, They were moved in the "remodel" of my blog and I made the 1906 photo a little larger. All three photos are on The House page. (Tabs at the top.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I hadn't even noticed those and that they were tabs. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete