Friday, October 5, 2012

Missing Motivation

You know how it is when you really don't like something, but you try to make it work anyway?  One of two things happens then:  you either get over it, or every time you look at the something you get cranky.  There's been a whole lot of cranky around here over the color of the bathroom.  So today I started repainting it.


The difference is startling, right?!  If you look really, really hard at the right side of the photo you can see the old blue color on the bottom versus the new blue color on the top.  I know, I know, it's almost the same color.  Almost.  But not exactly.  Enough so that I'm not cranky anymore.  Oh, and I'm leaving the bottom half of the walls the old color because soon--I mean, eventually--that will be covered up with beadboard.

I know I've been talking a lot lately about the bathroom, but I haven't forgotten about the outside of the house.  I made some progress on scraping paint yesterday and today, too.


Amazing, isn't it?  Why, if I make that much progress every day I'll be done in only...another 27 weeks or so.    That electrical line stringing across the back of the house down to the fixture in the window is lovely, isn't it?  At least I spared y'all the view of the back yard, which still looks pretty much like it did a month ago when Flint and Charlie tore up the old patio.

I'm hoping to get my motivation back real soon.   Like before November 18th, when my building permit runs out....

10 comments:

  1. The bathroom looks great, at least it's a small room and paint is an easy fix. Sometimes adding a little black or gray will help tint the paint....I've had luck doing that before.

    We had a friend take a look at one of our rental properties this week and he advised us to use laminate flooring made from rubber in the bathroom. It's cheaper than tile and vinyl and water won't hurt it. He told us he puts it in all his rentals because it holds up well and it saves him money in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of your little blue bathroom when I got the latest issue of This Old House Magazine. There's a wee john in there that's shaped very much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That new blue color looks really nice. Odd that a small change makes a difference. Maybe that's why I obsess about paint colors...

    Are we not going to see The Hair post haircut? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about Little Marie. There are no words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Karen Anne. That's exactly how I feel. No words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, as the person who has to look at it more than anyone else, you are entitled to notice the finer subtleties of color! And I’m glad to hear that you opted for the beadboard. ;-)

    I SO relate to your pain re: making something work. I have been dreading these corner pieces in our bathroom as I know it’s going to need something to make it actually work. And so, while nearly everything else in the bathroom is complete, the trim around the shower surround remains undone. We, too, have been taking advantage of decent weather to try and finish outdoor tasks. Wanting to finish out there and in the bath to move to the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not remember the layout of what is around the current galley style bath. Is it possible to close a door, and cut a door across from the window to be able to utilize both of the ends with a vanity under the sink? Some money involved, but maybe a nicer layout with a bigger shower? My sympathy on the loss of a pet... it is never easy. AND I love the color... makes it seem much more open in a small space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. NV, can you use corner bead pieces, something like this?
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202087591/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=corner+moulding&storeId=10051#.UHVVhRX7LzQ
    (I hope that link works...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous, On the other side of the wall where the vanity is now, is another bathroom. I considered taking that wall out completely and making one large bathroom, but I like the idea of having two full baths. The shower (32"x32" now) could be made slightly deeper and quite a bit wider/longer within the existing walls...say, 2" deeper and probably almost a foot wider. I found a shower kit that's 34"x48" but I haven't measured to see if it would fit. Two of the walls around the shower butt out into the laundry room and it's a tight fit back there because of the trap door to the basement, which is in the middle of the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's me again... if I had a house worth blogging about I'd have a real identity (??) anyway... the reason I suggested what I did was because our house had a galley bath, long and 56" wide, with two doors. We were able to close both doors, open one in the center of the long wall. We moved the john to the opposite wall from where it was, put in a 30" vanity across from the new door... and the end of the room is a big shower which has a removable seat. We were thinking "geezer-proof" for future life. (ada bracing is in the walls for grab bars in the future). My brother-in-law took one look and said "you got a SEX shower" !!!!! After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I said about the bracing in the wall for a grab bar considering we have already dealt with two orthopedic surgeries and know that there will be more in the future, and that we were thinking more geezer than sex, he just laughed. (In case there are any inquiring minds, no, not yet.)

    ReplyDelete