Sunday, September 23, 2012

Girly Man

Charlie is home.  Actually, he came home Wednesday afternoon, but I didn't get around to blogging about it until now.  I've been busy hovering over him, checking his hand every couple of hours (I have gory pics if anyone would like to see them), and reminding him to take his antibiotics.  He's glad I went back to work last night.

I'm worried about him.  I think something might have happened to him in the hospital that turned him into a girl.

Wait.  That didn't sound right.

But seriously, y'all.  He's been acting kinda girly ever since he came home.

Wednesday night was not a good night at all.  I know this because both of us cried.  That automatically makes it a really bad night.  Sending a guy home with an open wound (the surgeon didn't stitch it up because he says it'll heal better if it's open), a bunch of antibiotics and painkillers, and a booklet about MRSA that will scare the bejeebers out of anybody can be a little overwhelming.  On top of all that, Charlie doesn't have health insurance or even sick leave at his job, so now he's got this big hospital bill and no money coming in to cover it.  So he cried.  Then I cried because he cried.  Then he told me I wasn't re-bandaging his hand right and I cried some more.  Finally we both sat on the couch with a box of Kleenex and cried it out while eating a whole bag of peanut butter cups.  You know, because that's what girls do.  Except that only one of us is a girl.  I think.

Then Thursday or Friday we had a big discussion about laundry detergent.  I mean, for like half an hour.  He's been buying the cheap kind but now he thinks he might buy the kind I use because he likes the way his clothes smell when I wash them at my house.  Besides, he says, "your soap gets my whites whiter".  Seriously.  He said that.

But what really sealed the deal about him becoming a girly-man was what happened last night.  I called him from work to check on him and he said he couldn't talk to me right then.  Why?  "Because there's a really good movie on Lifetime and I don't wanna miss it."  A really good movie on Lifetime??   I thought he was joking until he hung up so he could watch the movie.  He texted me during a commercial to tell me that "another good movie's comin on" after that one.

Who is this guy, and what has he done with my Charlie??



10 comments:

  1. Good grief check his prescription, they've mistakenly put him on estrogen!!!!!




    ReplyDelete
  2. (((())))) for you both.

    My vet did that leave the wound open thing with one of my cats. You don't want abscesses forming underneath.

    Peanut butter cups - what, no pint of ice cream apiece?

    Is he going to get that rechecked to be sure it's healing properly?

    I have forgotten all the details of Obamacare about insurance. Will he qualify for one of the subsidies so he has basically free or low cost insurance? Not that that helps after the fact with this.

    I hear you can sometimes negotiate a bill down with the hospital billing office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this the first time you've had to deal with an ill Charlie? In my experience, almost all men turn into whiney babies when they're ill or recovering from surgery. Women, no the other hand, turn all stoic and "no, that's okay I can do that myself".
    Changing the dressings on a MRSA wound is a pain. (both ways.) I had one on my abdomen that needed a drain. After two days of going in to the dr to have it changed, he told me I could do that myself- It is really weird to have to shove a piece of gauze into your belly flab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milah, Oh my stars, I laughed so hard I cried!! Hilarious!

    Karen Anne, No ice cream in the house at the time, or that would've been eaten too. The hospital gave him an application to the "Charity Department" to see if they can write off part of the bill. Also, the surgeon kindly operated on him in his hospital room instead of the OR, which saved Charlie about $5K. (I got to watch the surgery, which was also kinda cool.)

    Kathy, Yes, this is the first time I've had to deal with Sick Charlie, and you're right--we women are tougher! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Kathy. Even the toughest dude turns girly man when ill.

    Considering the amount of antibiotics he has been/is taking to combat the infection, I'd be willing to bet that at least some of his personality change is hormonal. (Seriously. Why do you think birth control pills can get whacked by them?)

    Either way, be thankful he's in touch with his feminine side. :-) Hope his recovery is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this comment on your sidebar tweet thing: I'd get a lot more sleep if I didn't insist on reading the entire internet every night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry too much. The same thing happened when my husband was sidelined with foot surgery for 8 weeks. Most of the "girly" habits went away after a few months. However, I will admit sometimes he still sits down and watches Lifetime movies instead of Law and Order or NCIS reruns. I don't think I would panic unless HGTV replaces the NCIS. THEN I will ask for a psych evaluation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, your "Girly Man" post is hysterical. Second, I work in an emergency department and have a little bit of advice that might help.

    Ask about hospital sponsorship. The hospital where I work will do that sometimes for people with no insurance.

    Also ask for a discount, people with insurance get discounts in that the insurance company has contracted for a special rate with the hospital. People with NO insurance certainly deserve the same courtesy.

    And finally, talk to the billing office, get an itemized bill, go through it line by line, sometimes you'll see stuff that you did not get.

    Be very nice to the billing office people and ask for a payment plan. One of the people I work with pays one bill for her son's ER visit - $100/month. They will work with you.

    Does Charlie smoke? Some studies show that smokers have more MRSA infections and more recurrences.

    I hope that helps you a little bit. Get him well and back to his "manly" self.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucy, Thanks so much for your advice. Charlie did fill out some paperwork for the Charity Department to see if they would write off part of his bill, but he hasn't heard anything yet. We'll try your other ideas too. And yes, unfortunately, he smokes about a pack and a half a day. :(

    ReplyDelete