Today was a very good day. The weather, for once, wasn't quite so blazing hot as it usually is and so Charlie and I worked a solid seven hours on the house. Wait. The end of that sentence might be a bit-too-generous retelling of what actually happened.
Maybe I'll just show you instead.
Charlie almost finished the last section of the dining room bay:
He said those little pieces were starting to get on his nerves, so he climbed up on the scary roof of the bay and scraped the whole gable.
When Charlie scraped the paint off, three clapboards fell apart. Apparently the paint was the only thing holding them together. So we drove to the lumberyard in Richmond to buy three new clapboards. Charlie took off the attic vent cover, removed the old clapboards, cut the new ones to length, nailed them in, and then replaced the vent cover. (While being dive-bombed by wasps, I might add.)
While he was up there, he also pulled off the trim boards under the eaves so I could start stripping them.
I got this far:
There are three pieces. I got some of the paint off two of them. The third one is untouched.
And then I did this:
Oh, and also this:
Told y'all Charlie gets a lot more done than I do.