Monday, May 23, 2011

Joplin Tornado

By now y'all have heard about the tornado in Joplin, Missouri.  That's a few hours away from me, and my loved ones and I are all okay.  A lot of people in Joplin aren't able to say that.  My heart goes out to those folks.  If you're inclined to pray, please say some prayers for the folks affected by these tornadoes, and for some very special people who are often forgotten when disasters happen:  emergency services personnel.  These men and women are maintaining calm and professional demeanors in the face of devastation.  I have all the respect in the world for them.  If you want to hear just how bad things are down there, give a listen to Jasper County law enforcement radio traffic.  It's heartbreaking.  (Warning:  It's a live radio feed, unedited, and some of the things you might hear are disturbing.)  The fire department I work for sent our Heavy Rescue Team down there Sunday evening to rescue and recover victims of the tornado who are in collapsed buildings.  From what I'm hearing, my boys are walking into hell on earth.  Please say a prayer for them, too.

If you live in the Joplin area and want to let your family know you're safe, or if you have loved ones there that you're checking on, please go to the Safe And Well page of the Red Cross website.

If you are a medical professional and want to help the victims of the Joplin tornado, please register at Show Me Response and they will contact you if you're needed.  Jasper County officials are asking people not to self-deploy.  Please wait to be contacted before responding. 

Want to donate money to the Red Cross for victims of the Joplin tornado and others?  Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 or donate online at http://www.redcross.org/

6 comments:

  1. Glad to know you and your loved ones are safe. Thanks for the info.

    Our thoughts are with all in the area.

    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I heard this, I checked on here to see about you. Glad you are okay, thanks for posting!!!

    Praying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Weather Channel was on the scene within 10 minutes because they were chasing the storm. The reporter was so overwhelmed by what he saw that he started crying on live TV.

    I was tipped off about the storm by a friend who works for FEMA and quickly mentioned on FaceBook about the storm. I was shocked at how bad they were hit.

    The weather has been usually harsh this spring. I'm worried that all the rain we are getting now will turn into drought this summer. It currently rains nearly every day and heavy on top of it.

    Glad you are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOOOOO glad everyone is well. Could not believe it was happening again! So awful that so many were killed. My heart definitely feels pummeled watching this play out.

    We got strong winds and a few heavy downpours but nothing bad. That could change this afternoon. OK - Tornado Season can end now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very glad you and yours are okay. I didn't realize this was near you.

    One thing people might not know is that in a disaster, phone lines jam. After Loma Prieta I couldn't get a dial tone for hours to let my family know I was okay. So if you don't hear from someone, it doesn't necessarily mean they are in trouble.

    ReplyDelete