Thursday, May 12, 2011

Flowers Inside and Out

Last week I tried to hang wallpaper, but it didn't go so well.  My shoulder protested mightily, so I gave up after only one strip.  It looks like this in the front parlor now:
Here's a close-up so you can see the pattern better:
The piece on top with the trellis pattern is just stuck up there with painter's tape.  After the trouble I had wrestling the big flowered strip into place using pretty much only one arm, I wasn't about to reach way up there next to the ceiling.  Ouch.  (The doctor said, "If it hurts, don't do it," when I asked him what I was allowed to do, so I'm taking his advice.)  Anyway, you get an idea of what the two papers will look like together.  Keep in mind that picture rail will cover the seam between the two papers.  The top edge of the picture rail will be even with the top of the trim around the door.  (The horizontal top piece, that is, not the bullseye corner piece with the other trim above it.)   I agonized over this wallpaper something terrible last fall, and now that one strip is up, I can't imagine why I worried so much.  I think it looks pretty good.  So far.  A whole room of it might be a different story....There I go, agonizing again.
Since I couldn't put up any more paper, I decided to clean up the yard this week.  I trimmed back the daffodils that were done blooming, planted a few containers, and weeded the fence row.  This morning when I got home from work, I saw that Esther's great big iris are blooming along the fence.
Esther is the tiny little old lady who lived (and died) in the Kelly House just before I bought it.  She planted these iris all along the fence, and lots and lots of daffodils around the patio, and that dratted vinca that I dug up from the front yard, too.  When I was chopping away at the vinca, I found a 1970s-era necklace with an enamel owl pendant in the overgrowth.  I like to think that losing that necklace there was some sort of karmic retribution to Esther for planting the dang stuff.

So I have flowers, inside and out, at the Kelly House.  I love Spring.

9 comments:

  1. I really like that wallpaper.

    I can't believe how much bulbs propagate.

    Hope your shoulder is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spring too!

    Sorry about your shoulder.

    That room is gonna look awesome! Love the wallpaper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wallpaper is going to be gorgeous in that room.

    I'm debating ripping out some of the former owners landscaping here too. She must have had a lot more free time to tend to it than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogger seems to have thrown away comments when it was down.

    I hope your shoulder is feeling better soon. I really like that wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed that too. Blogger was having a really bad day yesterday. My shoulder's better, but that might be because the most strenuous thing I've done the past 3 days is typing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen Anne just suggested your blog to me and I have to say its really fantastic! I'm really wondering about taking the siding off my house too. Right now it is covered in aluminum but I believe that the only insulation that it has is in between the clapboard and the aluminum. I know that your house was a little different, but I was wondering if you noticed if the house was more difficult to heat in the winter with out the extra protection of the shingles. There are pictures of the house over at ittybittybungalow.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome, Bradley! Thanks for your kind words. Honestly, my house is dang cold with or without the shingles! There is no insulation at all in my walls--clapboard on the outside, about a 3-inch gap, cardboard that's about an eighth of an inch thick (the forerunner of vapor barrier, I guess)and then the interior plaster walls. I don't see any difference in my heating bills or the temperature of the house now that the shingles are gone. Someday if I win the lottery or come into an unexpected inheritance, I'll have insulation blown in to the exterior walls. It's terribly expensive. If your interior walls are not intact, you could put batt insulation in the walls and then re-do the sheetrock or the plaster. I'd be loathe to tear out original walls to do so. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My bungalow in California had no insulation. Of course, it only got down to about 28 degrees outside in the winter, but it was still uncomfortable.

    Eventually I was able to get blown in insulation cellulose in the attic, and bit by bit I had insulating storm windows put on. I did the latter a wall at a time, in case the style was discontinued.

    I think the utility or town had a price break or rebate for the ceiling insulation. There was an income tax credit for the storm windows. It's worth looking into that stuff, although what exists now is probably different.

    Both really made a difference, not only in the temperature, but in the presence of cold spots in the house and near the windows.

    I've seen blogs where people made temporary storm windows out of plastic wrap. I think kits are sold for that at home stores.

    ReplyDelete