Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Big Thing & The Other Big Thing

I have begun this post four or five times, discarded what I wrote, and started over.  Once I decided not to write a post at all and instead watched the first hour of "The Runaways".  (Sadly, I cannot recommend that movie--this from a girl who wanted to be Joan Jett when she grew up.)  I debated with myself, a not-very-productive argument.  It went something like this:  If I tell 'em the big thing, I have to tell 'em the first big thing, and I don't know if I should throw the first big thing out there...but I can't tell 'em one without the other or the whole thing makes no sense.  (Makes no sense, kind of like that last sentence...) At last I consulted one of my besties.  "Not to sound all Nike or anything," she advised me, "but just do it."

So.  Here it is.  All of it.

The First Big Thing:  I am getting married!

Yes, you read that correctly.  Married.  Me.  Typing it makes my fingers all tingly.  I am getting married.  Holy crow.  I've never been married, so this is uncharted territory for me.  You know that feeling when you lean just a bit too far back in a chair and you almost fall but don't?  Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel all the time now, every day.  And while that might sound like not such a good feeling....trust me, it is.  It's the best.  That feeling makes me dance in the shower.  It makes me laugh out loud while doing something perfectly ordinary like mashing up potatoes for supper.  It makes me randomly stop in the middle of what I'm doing to stand, stock-still, and just breathe in and out for a minute and whisper wow....just wow

Okay.  Enough of that mushy malarkey.  This is a houseblog, for the love of Pete. 

So here's The Other Big Thing:  I am selling the Kelly House.

I hope no one hurt themselves falling off the chair after reading that.  Really.  I hope no one choked on a bit of ham sandwich or an ice cube.  Maybe I should've given y'all some warning.  Better prepared you.  After all, I've had a couple of weeks to wrap my head (and my heart) around the idea and it still freaks me out.  See, it's okay to be freaked out.  It's even okay to say things like "Oh lordy" and "Are you sure?" because these are, after all, tough times to sell a house.  Especially when you never planned to sell that house because you stalked it for years before you bought it and had a five year plan to restore it and just now finished the outside and just now made some real headway on the inside and you thought you'd live in it forever and ever---Excuse me for just a moment while I cry a little, okay?

There.  I feel ever so slightly better.  It's hard to let go of the Kelly House.  AJ (my husband-to-be) knows this.  He understands when I get teary-eyed talking about all the work I've done on the house.  He is proud of me and what I've accomplished and he knows that, in a very big way, the Kelly House is part and parcel of who I am as a person.  To his everlasting credit, AJ has never once said, "It's just a house."  He knows that the Kelly House is more than just a house.  It's proof of my independence and stubborn determination and grit.  He gets that.  Which has a lot to do with why I love this man so much. 

So, work continues on the Kelly House, though the plan now is a different plan than the one I had even a month ago.  More on the new plan as we go along.  And, the blog continues as well, for as long as I own the Kelly House.  Y'all have been with me this far, so I'll hope you'll stay to see how the story ends.

17 comments:

  1. Oh yeah!!!

    Oh no :((

    It's amazing how life throws a wrench into our carefully made plans, isn't it? At least your wrench is a good one :)

    Congratulations, on both big things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those aren't big things, those are HUGE!Wow is right! CONGRATULATIONS!! So happy for you!
    Sorry for all the exclamation points but they seems kind of necessary, lol.

    PS. Even if The Kelly House story will be ending, I hope it doesn't mean the end of blogging for you. We'd miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and best wishes to you! Keep blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!!!! So much news!

    Congrats on the marriage thing.

    But I'm sad I won't see the finished Kelly House. It was looking soooo good.

    And I'm sad that there will be no more WTB.....bummer.

    Maybe there will be another blog, of another vintage house redo in your future. Fingers crossed.

    Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations.

    How about keeping the house and renting it out?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What the?! Are you flippin' kidding me? But.. But..

    Holy smokes.

    I think you mislead with your post title. Big ain't the word.

    I mean. You didn't consult us first? Seriously, you just throw us (your trusty advisors) to the curb when you get all twitterpated?

    And speaking of which, we don't even know Mr. what's his name. What if we don't approve? How long have you known this guy?

    And what about WT Bob? What's going to happen to him?

    I'm totally pulling your leg here by the way. I am soooooooo happy for you. But geez girl you did all that painting and wallpapering...

    please tell us you're moving on to a bigger and better project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait!! What about the entry wallpaper? I loved that paper...

    *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Jayne! You know they say life is an adventure, enjoy the ride. I can't wait to hear the final chapters of "The Kelly House". Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just gonna add, rent the house out. Then on your tenth anniversary you can sell it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I'm a little familiar with this kind of post. The "huge life path change, selling the project house" post. I hope everything works out as wonderfully for you as it did for me. I'll miss seeing your posts in my Google reader, but I'm so glad I got to watch the transformation of your house from the shingle shack to the preservation palace.

    Also, just think of all the wonderful things your real estate listing will say!

    Congratulations and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Jayne! I wish you the best in this new journey. Like the others here, I hope this is not the end of your blogging. I think we've all grown to care more about you than the house. Keep us posted and we'll keep encouraging you on!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! Please make sure that you are not around during house showings. You have put so much blood, sweat and tears into Kelly House that if you ever over hear a remark about changing things, it will devastate you. You've done an awesome job! I'm a long time follower.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jayne! How wonderful! I am so very, very happy for you. I am so glad you stopped by my spot and got to see the "I can has" posting. I trotte over here to post a thank you and there's your news! I'm sorry to see the Kelly House go, but I'm thinking you are going to jump right in to AJs place and roll up those sleeves! Congratulations. You deserve every happines. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. p.s. That was supposed to be "trotted" not trotte. I was so excited my fingers couldn't keep up with my brain!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry that I've been a little slow catch up with this. I've been piloting the Space Shuttle for a month (yeah, that's it.)

    But CONGRATULATIONS! Wow! What life changers. Hard to believe about the Kelly House though. We'll miss it. But we look forward to the adventures of your next phase. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK. I check out of the blogosphere for a few weeks and …

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! My heart was beating faster FOR you. That is so wonderful, Jayne! You really and truly deserve mega heaps of happiness. I’m gonna miss the Kelly House so you will HAVE to just start a new blog on your next residence or on something. ;-)

    ReplyDelete