Thursday, January 6, 2011

Buyer's Remorse

I don't feel so good.  My stomach feels kinda fluttery and my neck itches like I'm about to break out in hives and my palms are sweaty.  I'm not sick.  I just spent some money.  It's not a horrendous amount of money, it's just that plunking down any amount over about $300 at one time makes me feel all icky.  I buy things piecemeal whenever I can for this very reason. 

But suddenly, I can't buy the wallpaper for the front parlor piecemeal like I'd planned to.  So today I bought two kinds of wallpaper for that room all in one big shebang.  Two kinds?  Yep.  One for above the picture rail and one for below it.  See, the papers I wanted for the front parlor are from the same collection as the paper in the foyer, and some of those patterns are being discontinued by Waverly.  If I wanted that paper, I had to buy it sooner rather than later.

But now the buyer's remorse has started.  I love the paper I decided on for above the picture rail (I love it almost as much as the foyer paper, and the foyer paper is like my soulmate) but I don't love the paper for the main part of the walls.  I like it.  I like it a lot.  I might even grow to love it, the way the quiet, skinny guy from the high school swim team that you never thought twice about back then slowly becomes such a huge part of your life that now you don't laugh anymore when someone says you ought to get married.  (Not that I'm thinking of a specific person here--heck no!--I mean, I said "you" not "I", right?  Right.)  What was I talking about?  Oh, yeah.  So I just spent a gob of money on wallpaper that I like but don't love.  This worries me a little. 

I suppose I have some time to get over it.  First I'll have to steam off the painted-over wallpaper in the parlor, fix a couple of bad patches in the plaster, put up the picture rail, and paint miles of trim--and I haven't even finished papering the foyer yet....

4 comments:

  1. Ah, but if it compliments the foyer paper it will be worth it. Because we both know that foyer paper is the crown jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be alright Jayne. Your favorite paper will be above the picture rail drawing you eyes towards the ceiling. The paper below is an accent to your furniture and draperies. I'm sure when it's all said and done it will be stunning.
    When do we get to see samples?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you return it?

    (How about a photo?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can sympathize. The paper I've chosen for my dining room I fell in love with 6 or 7 years ago but didn't buy then. A year (or two??) ago I saw how expensive it was getting and bought it before the price got out of reach. But the colorway had shifted over the years, from a warm cream to a light greenish. But I got it anyway. And will need to live with it regardless.

    ReplyDelete