Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Harkelroads House

In the early 1980s, the National Register of Historic Places folks came to Lexington, Missouri and did an inventory of all our historic structures.  As a result of that inventory, some of those structures were individually named to the National Register and four areas of Lexington were named National Register Historic Districts:  the Commercial Community Historic District, the Highland Avenue Historic District, the Wentworth Military Academy campus, and the Old Neighborhoods Historic District.  Every week I plan to share at least one house from the National Register inventory with you. 

The Harkelroads House

"Circa 1840.  Two story brick painted white Greek Revival; L plan with one story side porch on the east, bay window on the west.  Ionic porch across front added circa 1900.  Double end chimneys.  Victorian cast-iron fence; significant brick outbuilding to the rear."--National Register of Historic Places inventory listing

I don't know much about this house, but I think it's beautiful.  It's located in the Old Neighborhoods District about a block and a half to the west of mine.  The pretty yard and the landscaping really set off the crisp white paint and green shutters of the house, and I love the bunting they put up.  Originally this house was probably unpainted brick and would have had a smaller porch that covered just the front door, in keeping with the Greek Revival style; however, I don't think the paint or the porch detracts from this house at all.  Can't you just see yourself enjoying a cold glass of lemonade while sitting in one of the wicker chairs on the front porch? 

5 comments:

  1. Oh yeah. I see me there! :-) Gorgeous, gorgeous place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can see myself living there!
    And I see how you stay so motivated, it looks like you have lots of inspiration around you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be still my heart! I LOVE THAT HOUSE. Just gorgeous. And I agree I don't think the porch and paint detract from it at all. Odd, because normally I would. I love the fence, too. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I'm staring at the larger version of the photo, I wonder if the upstairs windows were replaced at some point?

    Great house, the porch looks like it has been there forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen Anne, Funny you should say that--I walk past this house every day and never thought about that, but when I saw the photo the same thing occurred to me. I think the windows must have been replaced at some point. They look to be wood sash still (not vinyl, thank God!) but I'm guessing that originally they were 6-over-6 paned windows.

    ReplyDelete