Thursday, April 15, 2010

Like A House Afire

Monday morning I had a nice long conversation with my mama in which she told me that I've been "goin like a house afire" for the past two summers and she thinks I need to slow down some.   What she's referring to, of course, is the Great Shingle-Ripping Project of Summer '08 followed by the Great House-Painting Project of Summer '09.  She is of the very firm opinion that I should take this summer off from major projects.  I think she expected me to argue with her.  I did not. 

I wholeheartedly agree.  So this summer I will be living in my house instead of a construction zone.  I will be spending more time sitting on the front porch with a big glass of iced tea, gossiping with Carl and Don, watching fireflies, playing with my fur-babies, going to the bookstore with WTB and Mrs. WTB, stargazing out at my friend Doug's place, eating ice cream, walking barefoot on the brick sidewalks of my neighborhood... 

To quote the irrepressible Calvin (of the "Calvin & Hobbes" comic strip):  "There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."  This summer, I'm gonna give it my best try.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with your mom, but I'm also wondering how long you can go before you're back at it. ;D Honestly though, you deserve more than a break, you deserve a vacation! Just don't forget about us here in blogland. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries, Milah. I give it a week and she'll be tearing into something...she owns an old house. She's been smoking crack or something if she thinks she can go all summer without a major project. ;-) tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think when you seriously contemplate wallpapering 7/8 of the dining room, it's time to take a vacation :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milah, I'm not stopping; just slowing down. :)

    Christine, LOL! No big projects that chain me to the house. You heard it here first. :)

    Karen Anne, Exactly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jayne, I came over from Milah's to see your projects. It looks like you are one busy lady.. you have made big differences in that house already! I would keep the trap door as is..and keep the number of baths and bedrooms the same..for resale. Although in todays market who knows:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, uh-huh. I'll believe it when I see it. Even if you don't do a major project, I see LOTS of little ones all adding up to a big one. Even my 'word verification' agrees, it's "heehe". No lie! See, even it's laughing at you! ;)

    ReplyDelete