Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ode to O. Possum

Departed from this life January 18th or so, and still resting at the east end of the alley where he was mercilessly struck down in the prime of his life by a passing motorist, Mr. O. Possum.  Mr. Possum was well-known throughout the Old Neighborhoods National Register Historic District as a frequent and unwanted visitor to the front porches and trash cans of the neighborhood's homes and was rumored to be a possum of interest in the death of Mr. Blackbeard, a much-beloved cat of the district.  By his uniform unpleasantness and general ugliness of character, Mr. Possum won the unanimous disgust and near hatred of all who came in contact with him.  During his last moments, he appeared to be aware of his impending fate as his trademark snarl is now forever imprinted upon his lips.  Though called so unexpectedly from this life, and in the midst of his trash-raiding, we who knew him are consoled by the fact that never again will the call "Here, kitty, kitty" be answered by Mr. Possum's hissing.  Our loss is Hell's infinite gain, in that Mr. Possum shall surely spend all eternity posted at its gates. 

9 comments:

  1. Mr. Possum's California cousin was recently struck down in a similar brutal fashion in front of our home only two weeks ago. Coincidence? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor opossum. I have one who visits my deck for peanuts.

    None of the other critters mess with him or her. Even the skunk, who intimidates the fox, backs off from the opossum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww.....what an obituary! LOL! That reminds me of the opposum that adopted us one summer. We were grilling hamburgers outside when he came staggering out of the woods and right up to the deck. I was freaking out and hollering at the kids to move out of its way. The kids threw him some food and we went inside and watched him through our window hiss at our cats and pretty much take over the place. He was gone in the morning but he always came back whenever we grilled out!
    The kids named him, "Awesome Opossum." Later we found out that someone had nursed his broken leg and turned him loose in the woods next to our house. Apparentley they taught him how much fun a good BBQ was because he never missed a party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whah, ha, ha...permanent snarl...whah, ha, ha...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. God. Read this earlier today in the middle of a lot of chaos so i couldn't comment. Thanks for the laugh!!!

    FFFFFFFFFFFFF. (Hissing at you in honor of the O.)

    HOLY CRAP! IS there a possum serial killer on the loose?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One dark night, on an unlit road, a opossum ran out in front of my car & I couldn't swerve to avoid it. I went home & cried like a baby because it was the first (and to this day, the ONLY) animal I have ever killed). Damn rodent - damn near made me a basket case, sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Kate, I'm sorry. I hit a bird who swooped unexpectedly low in front of my car. It is a terrible feeling.

    Sometimes I see poor animals by the roadside and think cars should vanish from the planet. That starts my we'd all be better off living in the woods like a few thousand years ago stream of thought...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate & Karen Anne, Hitting an animal is just the worst. I live in a rural area and sometimes hitting them on a country road is just unavoidable. It makes me feel really bad. And don't even get me started on urban sprawl encroaching on the animals' habitat and all the car vs. critter wrecks that causes!

    ReplyDelete