Friday, December 11, 2009

As God As My Witness

This afternoon I briefly turned into Scarlett O'Hara. When I stepped out of the hot shower and into my cold bathroom a Scarlett-ness came over me. I lost it a little bit. I pounded my fists against the bathroom wall and shouted, "As God as my witness, I'll never be cold again!" I think I scared the cats.

My bathroom is unheated. So it's cold. Really cold. Miserably cold. Cold as in, no HVAC whatsoever. Well...that's not completely true. There is a wall heater the size of a fridge which uses natural gas. I've been advised by a house inspector and an HVAC guy not to use it. The thing scares me. So I don't use it. And the bathroom is cold. Did I mention that?

It was less cold last winter. That was before I cut a cat door in the kitchen door and left the kitchen door shut all the time. Now the rest of the house is warmer, but the bathroom and the back porch are colder. And I can't take it anymore. I don't know what I'm gonna do, but "As God as my witness, I'll never be cold again!"

6 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. We lived for more than 3 years in an old railroad flat in NYC -- 7 rooms, and no central heat, just two space heaters -- one at each end of the LONG flat. And no bathroom heat at all.

    Brrr.... I got into the habit of taking baths in the big claw foot tub, filling it with piping hot water, and not going into the bathroom until the hot water had warmed the room.

    My husband once wanted to buy a house simply because the master bath had heated floors. he yearned for them. Ha. Didn't happen.

    Wish I had a solution for your icy bathroom -- It is SO cold, I know. Explain to the cats, they'll understand.

    Best ... Cass

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had ducted ceiling fan/heater/light combinations installed in both my unheated basement bathroom and in the inadequately heated one upstairs. They work pretty well, and you can choose the BTUs.

    Nutone makes them, as you can see here:
    http://www.google.com/products?q=Nutone+heater+light+fan&aq=f

    The radiant lamp kind works better if you don't need the ventilation and you don't want even a warm breeze on ya when you get out of the shower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 2-3 of these little heaters in my house. My baseboard heating just doesn't make it in New England in the depths of winter. In the summer I store them away.

    I only use them when I'm right in the room, never leave them unattended when on.

    There's one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen, and when it gets below zero outside, one in the living room. The bathroom and kitchen ones only get brief use, a few minutes is enough to take the chill off.

    They last a couple of years, then they stop working or they start turning on and off too often so I pitch them out and replace them.

    A bunch of places sell them - KMart, Sears, Amazon, etc.:

    MaxFlow Radiant Heater

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the old house I used to live in, there was a window over the tub, no ceiling exhaust fan. The only electrical outlet was built into the light fixture over the sink, but a space heater would have blown fuses anyway. I put platic over the window & did what Cass did - let the hot water warm the room before I even headed in there. Oh, and a thick, fluffy rug for your tootsies to step out onto when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! I saw the title and thought you had gone down in the basement again...

    Anyway, we have one of those space heaters that looks like a small radiator. We use it on the back porch for the poor, spoiled-rotten dogs. You wouldn't believe the amount of heat that thing puts out. And they're not that expensive. I think we bought ours at Lowes. Maybe something like that would work until you get a more permanent solution?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh, that last post was me. Darn kid didn't log out.

    ReplyDelete