Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thankful Thursday

My latest list of five things I am thankful for, in no particular order:

1.  People who have a sense of humor.  When I say I'm a fire and EMS dispatcher, I think what leaps to most people's minds is those terrifying, life-and-death calls you hear on the news sometimes.  We do get those every once in a while, but the majority of our calls are what we call "bread and butter"—ordinary medical calls like difficulty breathing, general illness, and chest pain.  Tonight a quite elderly man called 911 and when I said, "Sir, I'll just stay on the phone with you until the paramedics arrive," he replied calmly and politely, "Oh, that's not necessary.  Surely I'll live at least until they get here."  I love my job.

2.  The superhero that is Reed.  If y'all can stand just one more mention of the boyfriend....Last week I learned I might possibly have a chance to bid day shift at work.  I've worked nights for almost four years, but the possibility of working "normal" hours is tempting, so I debated the pros and cons with myself for a few days before telling Reed I was thinking about it.  He works days, but we haven't been together that long and I was unsure what he'd think of my even counting him among the reasons to turn my work schedule upside-down.  So, I laid it all out to him over supper.  He thought for a few minutes and said, "Of course I'd love to see you more, but the truth is that you have to do what's best for you."  Of course.  And now I know I'll have his support no matter what shift I bid.  I call him a superhero for good reason.

3.  My mom's inability to keep really good Christmas presents a secret until Christmas.  For years and years, my mother has started her Christmas shopping about mid-August.  When she finds something really good, she can't just stow it away until Christmas, try as she might.  Yesterday it was my turn for the early present.  I cut the tape on the box she hadn't even wrapped yet and inside...a Breadman bread maker!  Hooray!  I baked a loaf of bread as soon as I got it home.

4.  Baby Chase.  My daughter-in-law's sister had a baby girl two months ago, and one of my son's best friends had a baby boy just a few days later.  Dylan and Sarah have been baby-sitting a lot lately, and along with that has come a certain amount of baby fever.  I admit not being immune to it, either.  (Babies are just so cute and cuddly and sweet, aren't they?)  Monday night Dylan called me and asked me to come over.  When I got to his house, there sat he and his wife on the sofa, looking exhausted and a little shell-shocked.  "Um," I said, "I hear a baby crying."  Sarah looked at me a little tearfully.  "I know," she said, "and no matter what we do he won't stop crying."  I picked up Baby Chase and rocked him (it's amazing how these skills come right back to you) so Sarah and Dylan could eat supper.  As Sarah grabbed a second slice of pizza she remarked, "At least we can give him back in a couple hours when his mama gets here."  And Dylan said, "We are so not ready for kids of our own."  Lil Chase, I'm sorry you had such a bad tummy-ache, but thank you.

5.  Netflix Watch Instantly and FeedFliks.  I got a Netflix account because I am completely unable to return a video on time and the monthly fee for Netflix is cheaper than my late fees at the video store.  However, I'm unable to return a Netflix DVD right after I watch it, either.  It lays around my house for days, sometimes weeks, before I remember to mail it back.  It became questionable whether the Netflix account was really saving me money.  Then along came Watch Instantly, and I started watching movies on my laptop during down times at work and when there's nothing on tv at home.  Last week I learned about FeedFliks.com, a website that calculates your per-movie cost with Netflix.  Thanks to Watch Instantly, mine is down to 58 cents a movie.  Can't beat that!

5 comments:

  1. I thought your son and DIL was going to announce they were expecting! It sounds like baby Chase has turned into a form of birth control for them.

    I had to call 911 yesterday to have my MIL transported to the hospital. (CHF and possible heart attack)they asked me if I wanted them to stay on the line and I said, "no, she wants me to help her change her clothes." She's 91 years old and she wanted a prettier nightgown on when they arrived! Go figure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milah, I hope your Mom in law is doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milah, I think Chase is indeed a form of birth control. lol

    How's your MIL?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lot to be thankful for. How was the bread? I used to crave a bread machine. I don't know why but I really wanted one. But K was very clear that we had no need and no space for an appliance that would likely be used only once. He's right. But I still might buy one one of these days. Maybe if I can pick up one second hand. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jayne & Karen Anne,

    My MIL has had a mild heart attack, the doctors want to do a heart cath but she does not want to. At this moment, she plans to come home tomorrow morning. She is very sharp, she has her mind and knows what's going on, she has lived a long life and she is ready to go whenever God calls her.
    Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete