Wednesday, September 9, 2009

House of Vermin

First it was ticks.  Then spiders.  What next?  A mouse, that's what.

I came home from Wal-Mart about 3 a.m. this morning to find two of the cats sitting on my stove staring intently at the range hood.  I shooed them off and started unpacking groceries.  Then I heard it:  scrabble, scrabble, thump...scrabble, scrabble, thump.  Coming from the exhaust vent above the range hood.  Something was in there.  Something alive.  I took the screens off the range hood and looked up in there.  Nothing.  I briefly considered calling WTB, but given the hour, I thought he might not appreciate it.  So I went to bed.  And I dreamed of birds nesting in my vent, or a squirrel that somehow burrowed in there.

When I woke up this afternoon, there were the cats again on the stove.  I wonder if they kept a vigil there all night long?  I called WTB who came right over.  (Of course he did; that what he does.)  He took the screens off the range hood and then turned on the fan.  "Well," he said, "I don't hear anything getting ground up in the fan blades."  So he turned the fan off and stuck a knife up in there to prop the vent open.  At which point a teeny little mouse dropped out onto the stove.  I threw a towel to WTB, he threw it over the mouse, and we ran outside and across the street with it.  When we let it go, the mouse ran straight for Carl's house.  What a good neighbor I am, giving a mouse to Carl.

4 comments:

  1. Bummer. Mice just give me the creeps. Unfortunately they only need a little tiny opening to get in.

    Getting rid of mice is a bummer too. Poison kills them but then you have to worry about other animals eating it. Plus it seems that the mice always die in a place you can't get to and the smell of a decomposing mouse is the worst.

    You are making your house so nice that all the critters want to live there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wonder what the neighbors say about you and WTB. Running out to the street with a mouse in a towel, that's a funny picture.
    Jack once had a rat crawl out of some machinery and ran up his arm. I looked out the window when I heard him scream, I never will forget the dance he was doing as he shook that rat off his arm. I still laugh when I think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you didn't kill it. Poor little guys have a rough enough life as it is. Just like us, they want some food and a comfy place to call home.

    And, if you ever HAVE to start getting rid of them, please don't use those glue traps. They're ungodly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan--Haha! "All the critters want to live there too."

    Milah--It was pretty funny, but not as funny as the mental picture I get of Jack dancing around like that. LOL!

    NV--You're right, those glue traps are ungodly. Horrid. At least the old snap-traps kill 'em instantly...but I hope it doesn't come to that.

    ReplyDelete