Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What Dreams May Come

I had a bad dream. A terrible, frightening dream. Tuesday afternoon I dreamed that the back of the house has vinyl siding under the cedar shingles. And no clapboards under the vinyl. Eeeek!! (I should explain that the back of the house was originally an open porch that was subsequently closed in, so that part of the house is newer than the rest.) Probably this dream was brought on by three visitors in a row on Monday asking me if I was going to put up vinyl siding after I get all the shingles off. Or maybe eating cold pizza right before bedtime did it. Anyway, I woke up terrified that this was some sort of psychic vision.

So I went out in the rain and pried a few shingles off that part of the house. I saw clapboards, but they don't look like the other ones. They're smoother and the paint is really chalky. I'm pretty sure they're wood, but rain and having to go to work Tuesday night prevented me from making the positive ID. As soon as I get home, five hours from now, I'll do further research. In the meantime, I'll fret.

7 comments:

  1. Don't fret. Even if the clapboards are in horrendous shape, it a small area and you could just re clapboard it. I am sure you are up to the challenge. Every day I think about your shingle removing and think that I need to get busy with my shingles. But then I find something else to do...LOL. I just can't seem to get going on that project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had dreams like that! All sorts.. sometimes the house was perfect, sometimes it had HUGE holes and was falling down.

    If it's vinyl on the back, don't worry! You can leave it for now (it's the BACK... no one can see it), and replace it with real clapboards when you have the money! We have a "situation" like this on OUR back side, where the addition is... they ripped the BRICK off of the back, so all that is there is the steel siding. We plan on eventually residing in something nicer, but for now we aren't worrying too much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it was the cold pizza (nightmares could NEVER be caused by pizza)... it was all those PEOPLE who don't know any better...

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. How DO you do that thing on the side that shows where you were at your favorite blogs? I've seen that on several others, and I think that is SO cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honey, if you're dreaming about it it's time to put down the pry bar and go to A bar. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy--The blog list is a new feature that Blogger just recently started. After you sign in, click on Dashboard (if you're not already there) and then click on Layout under the Manage Your Blogs section. Once you see your existing layout, then click on Add a Page Element and a pop-up window should appear with all the various cool things you can put on your blog. Click on Blog List and just follow the prompts. Making the Blog List is pretty much the same as the Link List we use now, so I don't think you'll have any trouble. But if you do, just email me and I'll help. Heck, if I can do it, you can!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christine--I ate supper at the pub tonight, and when I got home I fixed myself a big frozen margarita. Does that count?? Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete