Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence Day

The shingle-pulling continues. The front of the house is almost, but not quite, completely shingle-less. On to the west side of the house. The very long, daunting side of the house. My mom came over and helped out today, in spite of her oft-voiced opinion that I am somewhat crazy for taking on this project. (She'll be 81 in two weeks, but don't tell her I told you that.) I desperately wanted photos of her tearing the shingles off the ginormous dining room bay in her cute little pink t-shirt and white shorts, but she said absolutely not. I might be all grown up, but I still mind my mama.


We got an awful lot done, and made a huge mess in the side yard--four trash bags full--and Little Dog supervised the whole thing. Mom helped me clean up the yard and then went home to soak in her tub. I thought that was a mighty fine idea, and since my son's moved out I can reclaim the master bathroom with its tub. A nice, long soak in the tub. Maybe with a glass of wine. Just the ticket.


Uhhhh....evidently my son's been using the tub as a storage unit. That big round black object with the writing on it is a land mine. A real one. With no insides to explode, though. If you had a soldier son who's trained to disarm those things, you'd probably already know what it is. But I told you just in case you don't.
So, no bath. I wandered back outside dejectedly and climbed way up on the ladder again to tear off a few more shingles. Then I heard someone shout in a very thick (fake) Southern accent, "Wow, you sure got yourself a lotta work ta do!" My neighbor Bob, with his wife Sherrie in tow. "Why don't you come down off that ladder and walk up to Enigma with us? I'll buy you a coffee. You kinda look like you could use the caffeine." I protested. A little. I'm filthy and covered with mosquito bites. I have splinters and paint pieces in my hair. "Get off the ladder," he said. I did.
Neighbors who observe from three houses away that I am seriously in need of a good cuppa. Neighbors who order me to stop working on the house and have a little fun. Talk about your Independence Day.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...your Mom is 81 and rips off shingles and wears white shorts and pink t shirts???? Your Mom rocks!!!!!

    Land mines in the tub???? I looked at that and for the life of me could not figure out what it was until I read your explanation. Thank gosh it's empty but then sometimes my house looks like a land mine went off.

    Happy July 4th weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoyed the coffee. It was a well-deserved cuppa! Happy 4th of July weekend! I can identify with the "my house looks like a land mine went off" comment from Jan! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish she would have let you take her picture.

    I would have been blown to bits by the land mine given I had no clue what it was.

    And I'm glad Bob dragged your butt of the ladder to have a cuppa. The work will always still be there. Good friends may not be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Phil Collins!!! I have something for you over at my spot. Please come and see!

    ReplyDelete