Friday, July 18, 2008

The House of Mirth

Remember Two-Face? The enemy of Batman? Maybe you folks aren't Batman freaks like I am....Two-Face was the former District Attorney of Gotham City, a real law-and-order type and a personal friend of Batman. But then some evildoer threw acid in his face and disfigured him, and he turned to evil himself. So why am I telling you about Two-Face, some comic book villain? Because I think at the moment my house looks like Two-Face. See the resemblance?



Hee hee. Okay, so maybe my house doesn't look that bad....but the difference in the house without the shingles is pretty striking. And it'll look that way for awhile, because the shingles on the porch will be some of the last to go. There's only plywood underneath, so when the shingles go that part of the house will need new siding. If you look at some of the other photos of the house, there's a wide board under the eaves and I'm thinking of putting one along the top of the porch so it looks more like the rest of the house. I'd like to replace the ugly wrought iron porch supports with turned posts, but there's a scant 4 inches between the porch and the edge of the concrete now. Don't know if that'll work. And I'd like to figure out a way to put some porch spindles on there, too, so it looks more like the original porch. (Nate, are you listening? Do you have some brilliant architectural advice for me?) Of course, what I'd really like to do is tear off the existing porch and replicate the original. Oh, and I'd like to win the lottery, too, please.

Back to reality. This is what I got done on Thursday, which for various annoying reasons was the only day this week I could work on the house:



So yesterday my friend Larry came over and I asked him, "Larry, will I die if I pull off the shingles around the electrical box for the air conditioner?" After some discussion about calling the utility company to shut off the power and making fun of the Dig-Rite commercial, Larry said, "I've had a nice long life, kid." (Larry's 67.) "I'll tear 'em off." So he crouched down between the wall and the a/c unit and started pulling. I dialed a 9 and a 1 on my cell phone, just in case. Suddenly, the air conditioner kicked on, Larry jumped out of his skin and fell backwards, and I yelped. After a few heart-pounding seconds I realized that Larry was still very much alive and laying in the grass laughing. Just another day at my house.

5 comments:

  1. I'd like to help you out with your porch situation. Email me some photos of the problem situation!

    nathan.a.larson@hotmial.com

    I'll whip up some sketches for ya. It would be nice to actually use some of that college lernin' I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate--Thank you so much!! I will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when Nate comes to the rescue! Gotta love that Larry! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I could actually picture what happened with the AC. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm chuckling at both the visual of the house vs. TwoFace and at Larry laying on the ground.

    ReplyDelete