Sunday, May 18, 2008

Christopher Columbus

A big giant cat named Christopher Columbus (also known as Big Cat) shares my house with me. He's slightly mentally challenged, has huge galumphing white paws, hates Little Dog and is determined to escape our house and become an outdoor cat. We inherited him from our vet clinic after he began hiding under chairs and sniping dogs as their owners brought them into the clinic.

What does this have to do with my neverending house restoration? Glad you asked. In Christopher's quest to become a Big Scary Outdoor Cat, he tore a hole in the front screen door and pushed his way out into the yard. Yep, the front screen door. The one I just bought. The one my son ground down to the correct height. The one that replaced the door the stray dog chewed through. The one I hung about three hours before Christopher destroyed it. Sigh....

And in unrelated animal news, some sort of creature is gnawing at the sucky shingles on the back of the house. When I'm in the back bathroom I can hear it scrabbling at them. Little Cat spends an extraordinary amount of time in the bathroom staring at the wall as if the creature might burst through at any moment. Whatever it is, it leaves long scratch marks on the shingles. Whether from teeth or from claws, I'm not certain. I'm hoping it's a beaver or a woodchuck and that it eats all the shingles off like frosting on a cake. Stay tuned for updates.

5 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the fate of your screen door. That must be one hefty kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Not after all that work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a BIG cat. Over 20 pounds, and he's not really all that fat. I almost cried when I fixed the hole in the door. I'm thinking of putting a piece of Plexiglass over the bottom half of the door. The rest of the porch is aluminum screen which so far Chris hasn't broken through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a safe, uneventful (work-wise) Memorial holiday!

    ReplyDelete